The gentleman went into the water to the west of Thorness Bay at around 16:00 to rescue his pet but, as is normally the case, the animal managed to get itself to safety whilst it was the owner who found himself in trouble. He swallowed a lot of sea water before making it back to shore.
Fortunately, members of the public were present to assist the would-be pet rescuer until the The Needles Coastguard Rescue Team arrived onscene.
The dog owner was taken by ambulance to St Mary’s Hospital as a precaution.
Tom Wyeth, Station Officer for The Needles Coastguard said:
“As hard as it is not to, please don’t endanger your own life trying to rescue a pet. You can call HM Coastguard via 999 for any sea or shoreline emergency.
“A special thank you needs to go to the landowner at Elmsworth Farm who allowed us access across her farm. Emergency workers have the power to gain access wherever required, although we always try to do it with the landowners blessing.”
Cowes RNLI were tasked to launch their inshore lifeboat, however were stood down as they were about to launch following the safe return of the man to the shore.