A 23-year-old man from Newport has been arrested on suspicion of attempted robbery after Police issued an appeal for information yesterday (Monday) about an incident that occurred back in March.
As previously reported by Island Echo, Hampshire & Isle of Wight Constabulary released CCTV images of 2 men they wished to speak to.
It’s said that shortly after midnight on Thursday 23rd March, a man in his 50s left the Wheatsheaf Pub on Pyle Street and walked up towards St James’ Street when he encountered 2 men standing near the junction of the road.
1 of the individuals demanded the victim’s phone before he was followed and punched in the face. This occurred between Santander and Pittis estate agents on St James’ Street.
The victim refused to hand over his phone and was threatened with violence before being punched again. The attacker was called away by the 2nd man before both ran off towards the High Street.
Following yesterday’s successful appeal, a 23-year-old man from Newport has been arrested, questioned and bailed until 24th July while enquiries continue.






















































































Shame on anyone who knows the identity of the second suspect but lack the morals and decency to turn him in. You know who you are and you know who he is.
Both have been identified according to another Island news source.
Sadly standing around while your mate attempts to rob someone isn’t an offence (or, at least, there isn’t sufficient evidence of aiding and abetting to make it worth perusing).
‘Joint enterprise’ maybe?
Maybe.
More likely that the 2nd one is one of those pathetic hangers-on you see around bullies and wannabe gangstas.
Probably says “bro” a lot.
Also Yo blood!