82,000 ISLANDERS RECEIVE FIRST DOSE OF COVID-19 VACCINE

Published:

A total of 82,745 Islanders have now got an element of protection against COVID-19 after receiving a first dose of the vaccine, officials figures reveal.

NHS England data shows that 82,745 first doses have been administered across the Isle of Wight to date with a further 6,246 second doses given. Those who received their COVID jab around 12 weeks ago are now being invited in for their second jab to offer the best protection against the coronavirus as possible.

Today’s news means that around 60% of the Island’s entire population – 69% of the 16+ population – have now received a COVID-19 vaccination including 97.9% of the Over 80s, 94.1% of those aged 70-74 and 100% of those 75-79.

10,870 doses were given out between 14th-21st March.

Across the Island, Yarmouth and Freshwater have the highest number of people who have received at least their first dose 7,339, more than double the lowest area on the Island, Newport Central and Parkhurst West where only 3,395 have had their first vaccine.

How well is your area of the Island doing? Find where your area is in the list below:

• Yarmouth and Freshwater – 7,339
  • Ventnor and Wroxall – 4,329
  • Cowes Central – 3,972
  • Brighstone and Shalfleet – 3,551
  • Niton, Shorwell and Godshill – 3,539
  • Ryde Central – 3,430
  • Newport Central and Parkhurst West – 3,395

NHS England is expected to drop the COVID emergency incident level from Level 4 to Level 3 shortly as hospital admissions continue to fall.

Truth
Truth

I’ve had my first jab two weeks ago, and I’m looking forward to get the second one out of the way..

fred
fred

This fantastic and the only way out. Covidiots hate the lock down but don’t want to do the work to get us out.

John
John
Reply to  fred

One problem Fred Jab or no Jab, freedom is a thing of the past.

fred
fred
Reply to  John

We can fix that. But first we need to level the playing field and squash this bug.

John
John

So pretty much every vulnerable person has been vaccinated. Why aren’t we back to normal yet? I really don’t understand why the government is so insistent on every single person having the vaccine when there is no risk to the majority of young healthy people. It would be like offering the flu vaccine to teenagers.

Truth
Truth
Reply to  John

Lots of young people take drugs that in the end Will affect their health, so why not take the vaccine??….

John
John
Reply to  John

I see people are downvoting this, does anyone have an argument against this though? The island is safe, 97.33% of the vulnerable population has been vaccinated according to this article, with the first vaccine providing an average 90% effectiveness, as this report says. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/949505/annex-a-phe-report-to-jcvi-on-estimated-efficacy-of-single-vaccine-dose.pdf

If that isn’t safe, I don’t know what is.

Micky
Micky
Reply to  John

To reduce the spread, as the vaccine reduces transmission by 30% also to prevents anyone from getting seriously ill therefore preventing long Covid. The reduction in the transmission will help the reduction of the virus spread and hopefully it’s demise.

John
John
Reply to  Micky

The spread is already reduced, the vulnerable already have the vaccine. It doesn’t matter how many cases there are if those cases aren’t dangerous surely?

Micky
Micky
Reply to  John

The spread is reduced because we are locked down. It is all about transmission and viral load. That is why it is important to vaccinate all

Rebel
Rebel
Reply to  John

Well well smithy, you have awaken. See I remember it wasnt that long ago, that you and many were calling mr justice a conspiracy nut and he was spreading lies! Well was he? He told you all where this is going, yet you and many abused his advice. Well ,in the words of mr justice, ” let’s see shall we””

Smithy
Smithy
Reply to  Rebel

This is a different smithy! How can ie allow two people to have the same name? I still stand by what I said back then.

Smithy
Smithy
Reply to  Rebel

I have emailed ie to complain about this as the above is not my comment

black rat
black rat

Pathetic comment from the troll, and your evidence is!

fred
fred

I got ill with a pre existing condition in April 2020. St Mary’s handed the situation perfectly. Considering lock down had just started they were extremely well organised and were able to treat me without exposing me to covid. They saved my life at the most difficult point in time for the NHS.

Jack in the Box
Jack in the Box

Had mine and it was fine, few side effects but to be expected. I hope Gidding’s ludicrous plans to hold the festival this year is stopped, otherwise all the hard work and effort all the staff at the vaccination centres have been doing and are still doing will be completely wasted.

ink
ink
Reply to  Jack in the Box

So what’s the point of being vaccinated if you still want to sit in your house

Jack in the Box
Jack in the Box
Reply to  ink

I won’t be, and I won’t be going to a rubbish festival either.

Liam
Liam

I want the jab but still not been offered it suffer from mental health just got to wait inline I guess

isle of wighter
isle of wighter
Reply to  Liam

mental health is not a disease or a condition – the words “mental health” are used to talk about the state of the mind.

perhaps you should be saying …suffering from poor mental health

Rebel