FAMILY SWIFTLY RE-HOUSED AFTER RYDE BLAZE THANKS TO HOUSING ASSOCIATION

Published at:

Just days after a devastating fire destroyed their property, a family of 5 have found a new place to live – after their housing association turned an empty house into a furnished family home.

Last month a freak fire ravaged the home in Ryde after glass caught alight, igniting a hedge in the back garden. The flames spread into the 3-bedroom home, destroying it completely.

Edward and Margaret Mew, their daughter Lynne and her children, Lauren and Joshua all survived the blaze but they were left homeless. Almost all their possessions also went up in smoke – apart from a photograph of Lynne’s grandparents, Nora and Frederick on their ruby wedding anniversary, and Frederick’s war medals from the 2nd world war.

Article continues below this advertisement

That’s when their landlord, Sovereign Housing Association, stepped in.

Since COVID-19 took hold across the country business as usual has been difficult for many housing associations, but Sovereign has continued to prepare some of their empty homes for people affected by the crisis, or who became homeless for any reason, to move into.

All this has been done within government guidelines around essential moves that housing associations are being asked to help with and while adhering to social distancing and safety rules at all times.

With hotel’s and B&B’s closed, this vital work by Sovereign meant the Mew family had a new place to call home just 3 days after they lost the one they had lived in for more than 35 years.

Article continues below this advertisement

The new place in Newport is furnished, newly decorated and carpeted.

Lynne, who works in a bakery, said the new home for the family to live in had provided them with ‘a lifeline’. She said:

“It was utterly heart-breaking to see our home go up in flames. Everything was destroyed and smoke damaged. It started in the hedge and just took over like an express train.

“I am so relieved that no-one was hurt but the family had been there since March 1985. My children were born there – it was our family home for all of us.”

Lynne added:

“The night after it happened we were all staying in a friends flat and when Sovereign said they had a place for us all, it was a real lifeline. It was amazing how quick they turned it all around.

“We are so thankful. We are all still in shock after the fire, it is devastating but without Sovereign I don’t know what we would have done. We are also so thankful to our local community for everything they have done for us since the fire. We have been overwhelmed by their kindness. We will now stay here and make this a new home for us.”

Executive Director, Property Services for Sovereign, Nicole Sharp, said:

“We’ve been working on homes like this one to ensure that they are ready for families both post-coronavirus lockdown and now, in this type of emergency scenario.

“We are delighted that we were able to provide accommodation for all the family in the wake of such a devastating fire. It’s testament to the commitment of our teams.”

The community have sprung into action, dropping off bags of clothes and essentials for the family and set-up a just giving page which has raised money for the family.

The views/opinions expressed in these comments are solely those of the author and do not represent those of Island Echo. House rules on commenting must be followed at all times.
6 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Harry Wad
Harry Wad
8 months ago

Whilst a happy outcome, an expensive one for the HA. Perhaps they could check on all their properties for as we see in the photograph, the house next door has a wooden structure which surely hasn’t had permission as it looks unsightly and any wooden structure affixed to a house is a huge fire risk. Grenfel towers owners were chastised for having flammable material on the outside of the wall, and the HA and tenants surely should be held responsible for any dangerous alterations to such. Check it out now HA, all your properties and remove any danger before someone… Read more »

Martin
Martin
Reply to  Harry Wad
8 months ago

Thing is… a ‘temporary’ structure like that is not subject to planning permission or building control regs…. Best bet would be for teh fire brigade to offer advice- maybe have a fire extinguisher to hand ? Just my 2p.

Jay
Jay
Reply to  Martin
8 months ago

Whilst agreeing with both your ‘points’ I believe that as a Housing Association tenant, IF indeed they are, you have to ask permission before erecting even temporary structures.

There should be rules about building anything flammable attached or close to rented property, as it is the taxpayer who funds such in subsidised housing when it goes wrong.

Does anyone from Housing check their properties for compliance nowadays?

Glad no one was hurt but could have been so very different.

Fisherman
Fisherman
8 months ago

Just the sort of news we all need a good happy ending to this sad time for the mews family
And a huge well done to Sovereign housing

john biddle
john biddle
8 months ago

more likely sparks from the welder that caused the fire a glass bottle pull the other leg.

Josh
Josh
Reply to  john biddle
8 months ago

Hi john it was my house that got burnt down can you explain sparks from welder as we did not own a welder hahahaha

Football Betting Site Betway
 

Join our daily newsletter

News, Traffic & Travel Tweets