In a proposal unanimously supported by the cabinet last Thursday, the council will look for 20x 2-bed homes to provide housing for families in the most need.
The council’s housing needs team have so far identified 200 Island families in urgent need of housing and at risk of homelessness.
Councillor Ian Stephens, cabinet member for housing, said the problem was not diminishing and while the houses were not permanent, they were stepping stones for those in danger of homelessness. He said:
“A lot of the private sector has moved away from renting; we need to get things back on track, We are turning this ship around and pushing for this.
“It is imperative we get people out of temporary accommodation and move them along the housing chain.
“We have got to deliver.”
Cabinet members echoed the sentiment that this would help bring a partial solution to the housing crisis and was something that could be brought forward in the short term before more can be done.
The units being suggested will be able to be moved around, although it is thought they will be placed in Newport first. The units have a 60-year lifespan and will have affordable rents and costs, to best support families in need.
Subject to funding approval at full council meeting next month and a business case to borrow the money, it is hoped the houses can be installed as soon as possible.
Don’t miss another story! Get the Island’s latest news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up to our daily newsletter here.