Another person has sadly died from coronavirus on the Isle of Wight, bringing the total number of deaths locally to 3, the Isle of Wight NHS Trust has confirmed.
The victim is said to be a man in his 90s. He had underlying health conditions and was being treated at St Mary’s Hospital in Newport.
Alistair Flowerdew, Medical Director at Isle of Wight NHS Trust, has said this morning (Friday):
“Sadly, we can confirm that a man who was being cared for at St Mary’s Hospital and had tested positive for COVID-19, has died.
“The patient, who died earlier this week, was in his 90s and had underlying health conditions.
“His family has been informed and our thoughts and condolences are with them at this difficult and distressing time.”
Official figures from Public Health England show that there are a total of 17 confirmed cases of coronavirus on the Isle of Wight as of 2nd April March. As previously reported by Island Echo, it was announced on Saturday that 2 people had died on the Island last week. The total number of deaths locally now sits at 3.
It has been revealed that 5 people treated at St Mary’s Hospital, who had tested positive for COVID-19, have now recovered and have been discharged.
Bob Seely MP has said:
“I am very sorry to hear about the third death on the Isle of Wight. My thoughts are with the family and friends affected.
“I would like to thank the IOW NHS Trust who I know are working extraordinarily hard to care for those who have already tested positive for the virus, while ensuring the hospital is ready to care for any new admissions.
“What the Trust has done on the Island in such a short space of time is nothing short of remarkable. It has stopped all non-urgent operations and outpatient appointments and is restricting visiting to St Mary’s. It has moved the Community Unit to Ryde Health and Wellbeing Centre, which has freed up 25 beds on the main hospital site.
“Wards have been reconfigured to create Isolation Wards to treat patients confirmed as having Covid-19. The Intensive Care Unit has increased from six ventilated beds to 18 with plans to increase to 45. The Trust has also been working with military planners to deliver a further significant increase in additional beds at the St Mary’s site if needed and has also identified other potential sites if necessary.
“The Trust is well prepared to deal with more cases on the Island should they arise in the coming weeks as we reach the peak of cases on the Island.
“I would please urge all Islanders to behave in a considerate manner, by following the health guidelines, protecting the NHS and saving lives”.