UPDATED: An Isle of Wight teenager is understood to be in a serious condition in Southampton General Hospital tonight (Wednesday) after allegedly consuming what has been described as a ‘rogue’ batch of drugs.
At around 08:00 this morning the Isle of Wight Ambulance Service are said to have arrived at an address on Garden Way on Pan Estate in Newport. It’s here that paramedics found a teenage boy in a bad way, prompting an immediate transfer to St Mary’s Hospital.
With his condition deteriorating, the lad, who is said to be just 15-years-old, was transferred by helicopter to the mainland for specialist treatment this afternoon. It’s thought The Children’s Air Ambulance was involved in the airlift from the helipad at St Mary’s at around 16:30.
Police have remained in attendance at Garden Way throughout the day and remain so tonight.
Detectives from Newport CID are understood to be conducting enquiries elsewhere on the Island in relation to a person who is wanted in connection with the incident.
UPDATE THURSDAY – Hampshire Constabulary have confirmed that they are investigating if the hospitalisation of 2 people, including the teenager from Garden Way, is connected with the thefts of prescription medication from Boots Pharmacy in Bembridge.
As previously reported by Island Echo, a large amount of medication was found, alongside empty boxes, on a beach at the bottom of Ducie Avenue on Sunday morning. It was thought that the strong pills had been taken from Boots Pharmacy during a break in the night before. A second break in occurred on Tuesday too.
Both the teenager and the second hospitalised individual are said to be in a stable condition.
Meanwhile, Police have arrested a 27-year-old man and a 15-year-old boy on suspicion of burglary. They have been released from custody without charge, but remain under investigation.