Police are this week exploring whether a man who approached two girls in Portsmouth on Tuesday is the same man wanted for the sexual assault of an 11-year-old girl in Yarmouth earlier this month.
A man matching the description of the sex attack suspect is said to have approached an 11-year-old girl and a 14-year-old girl separately in Kingston Road, Portsmouth, trying to engage them in conversation. Thankfully, both girls walked away without incident.
The suspect is described as white, aged 40-50 years old, up to 6ft tall with scruffy brown/grey hair – a near identical description of the man wanted for the horrific attack on the young innocent 11-year-old girl at Fort Victoria.
Concerns were raised by Island Echo readers less than two weeks ago that the description of the suspect matches descriptions from other sexual incidents on the Isle of Wight, including the attempted sexual assault of a 13-year-old girl back in March. It is reported a young girl was approached near to Hallets Shute just days after the Fort Victoria assault, however Police are yet to comment on the allegations.
Detective Inspector Floyd Higginson of Hampshire Constabulary has said:
“We are aware of two incidents in Kingston Road in Portsmouth on Tuesday, September 23 and are looking at whether there is any connection to recent reports on the Isle of Wight.
“We also continue to work with our colleagues on the mainland to find out whether any similar historic reports have been made in Hampshire and the Isle of Wight and whether they could be linked.
“A number of lines of enquiry are being followed to identify this offender and would urge members of the public to report any information to us which could assist our investigation”.
Police are reiterating that parents ensure that they are aware of where their children are and avoid letting them walk or play alone in secluded areas.