After a troublesome couple of years, it could be a fresh start for Bembridge Parish Council as new councillors are elected.
Infighting, resignations and arguments are just a few of the ups and downs the parish council has had — as well as an infamous incident with biscuits!
Heading into the May 2021 elections there were a handful of empty seats in the parish, after 2 councillors resigned over the approach taken to the Bembridge Village Hall roof project and others were supposedly kicked off for not attending meetings over the COVID pandemic.
There were 12 seats available for the council — split into 2 wards (North and South) both with 6 seats but 17 candidates vying for them. 7, out of 8, councillors were standing for re-election in Bembridge along with former councillors Alasdair Steane and Liz White.
5 councillors have retained their seats (Jay Chapman, Richard Weaver, Marianne Sullivan, Sheila Weedall and Ray Widger) but Grant Stillman and Margaret Donolon have failed to get enough votes to make their return.
Cllr Liz White will return to the parish council, while Our Bembridge’s Alasdair Steane has missed out. Mr Steane also missed out on the Bembridge Isle of Wight Council seat yesterday to Conservative’s Joe Robertson.
North Ward (6 seats) – Turnout 45.96%
- Jay Chapman – 294 (Elected)
- Martin Groom – 335 (Elected)
- Paul Kenny – 281 (Elected)
- Rosamond Poncia – 336 (Elected)
- Alasdair Steane, Our Bembridge – 232
- Mike Tarrant – 235
- Richard Weaver – 289 (Elected)
- Liz White – 385 (Elected)
South Ward (6 seats) – Turnout 41.9%
- Harriet Brabazon – 407 (Elected)
- Iain Delaney – 166
- Margaret Donlon – 137
- Josh Lake – 333 (Elected)
- Liz Mitchell – 355 (Elected)
- Grant Stillman – 186
- Marianne Sullivan – 318 (Elected)
- Sheila Weedall – 358 (Elected)
- Ray Widger – 254 (Elected)
Don’t miss another story! Get the Island’s latest news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up to our daily newsletter here.