DECREASE IN NUMBER OF THOSE ON OUT OF WORK BENEFITS ACCORDING TO NEW FIGURES

New figures from the Office for National Statistics have shown a decrease in the number of residents on the Isle of Wight claiming so-called ‘out of work benefits’.

The figures show that 4,785 people are currently claiming benefits such as Jobseekers Allowance – but this figure also includes those on Universal Credit.

Compared to April 2021, there has been a fall of 525 claimants, which has been linked to the rise in job vacancies caused by the arrival of the Summer tourist season.

The number of those claiming in May 2021 is broken down as follows:

• 2,905 were male
  • 1,975 were female
  • 1,370 were ages over 50
  • 2,560 were aged between 25 and 49
  • 935 were aged between 18 to 24
  • 5 were aged between 16 and 17

In total, 6.1% of those aged between 16 and 64 on the Isle of Wight are claiming out of work benefits, putting the Island above average for areas in the South East by 1.2%.

Oh my eyes
Oh my eyes

Sadly MANY parents are not paying THEIR way or funding their own children even IF they do work.

They pay little or nothing in taxes, a pittance in NI, and yet CLAIM back hundreds a week in child and working tax credits, PLUS child allowance.

They then pay little or nothing in rent and council tax, as WHEN you get tax credits, then this allows cheap rent and c tax.

Janesville Read
Janesville Read
Reply to  Oh my eyes

Low wages, and high rent, that why people need UC top up, also a lot of jobs are part time, some only 12/15 hours a week, they want you to be flexible so can’t always get Second job to fit in with the first

Andy
Andy
Reply to  Janesville Read

I couldn’t agree with you more, Janesville.

I think ‘Oh my eyes’ needs to open her eyes and understand the difficulty in getting any type of employment, professional or otherwise.
Many people have no choice but to accept part-time work and yes, some employers continually change their shifts so they cannot seek a second job elsewhere. I am aware that one of the major supermarket chains was doing this, some time ago. I’m not sure if they have changed their policy or not.

It is good to see the unemployment rate has come down a bit, but it is still very high for the Isle of Wight. I remember the days when 3000 was catastrophic and they actually included everyone in those days.

Janesville Read
Janesville Read
Reply to  Andy

Andy they still alter shifts around, I had 2 jobs, had to choose which 1 I kept, as I can’t cover for holiday, sickness etc. A lot of companies ask at interview if you have another job, if you have you can’t be as flexible as they would like so you chances of getting the job is probably zero

Oh my eyes
Oh my eyes

cont…
They then don’t need to pay any dental charges and can get free school meals, subsidised travel for children to go to school etc.

SO it is NOT just the unemployed who are costing the country it is the UNDER EMPLOYED TOO.

Many will only do 20 hrs yet claim so much they end up better off than most who work full time.

A farce that needs to end, then and ONLY then will we have people ‘keeping’ what they bring into the world and perhaps ONLY ‘wanted’ children would then be born.

Miss Angry
Miss Angry
Reply to  Oh my eyes

You can’t claim for working 20 hours a single person needs to work 30 or less than 15, I speak from experience and the position I’m in