A total of 19 people have now died with coronavirus COVID-19 on the Isle of Wight, according to NHS England.
Data released this afternoon (Thursday) confirms that 4 more individuals have died at St Mary’s Hospital in Newport having tested positive for the deadly virus. The death toll previously stood at 15 following the death of a woman on Sunday.
2 people are now said to have died on Sunday 19th, with a further 2 deaths on 20th April and another yesterday (22nd April).
21 people have now recovered from coronavirus and have been discharged from hospital.
Today’s news comes just 24 hours after the Government confirmed that we are now at the peak of the pandemic – a major milestone for the country.
Alistair Flowerdew, Medical Director at Isle of Wight NHS Trust, said:
“Sadly, we can confirm that a further four people being cared for at St Mary’s Hospital who had tested positive for coronavirus have died.
“The two men and two women were aged between 71 and 91 and all had underlying health conditions.
“Their families have been informed and our thoughts and deepest condolences are with them all at this difficult and distressing time.”
There are now a total of 74 confirmed cases of coronavirus on the Isle of Wight (as of 22nd April). Nationally, the number of people who have tested positive for COVID-19 stands at 129,044 with 17,337 deaths.