The Isle of Wight Council is moving 17 elderly residents from a care home in Ryde over safeguarding concerns, it has been confirmed.
The decision has been taken to axe the Council’s contract with Cornelia Heights on George Street as the residents’ safety cannot be assured. The contract relates to authority-funded placements.
Alternative accommodation is being sought for the 17 residents affected by the decision.
In a statement, an Isle of Wight Council spokesperson has said:
“The action follows widespread and significant safeguarding concerns raised by the Care Quality Commission (CQC), the jointly run council and Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) Integrated Quality Assurance Team and the Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service over the past 12 months.
“The council will be working closely with affected residents and their families to find alternative accommodation as a matter of priority. The authority is also offering to help other, self-funding residents at the home who may wish to move.”
Alison Murray, Head of Inspection of Adult Social Care inspection at the Care Quality Commission, said:
“The local Clinical Commissioning Group and Local Authority are supporting the provider to find alternative accommodation more appropriate to the needs of people using the service.
“We appreciate that this will be a difficult time for everyone involved but the first priority is always the welfare of the people who are living in care services.
“We will work closely with Isle of Wight Council, who are supporting the people living in Cornelia Heights and their families to find new services that meet their needs. All moves must be done in a planned way and carried out as thoughtfully and sensitively as possible.”
Cllr Clare Mosdell, Cabinet member for adult social care and public health, has said:
“I am saddened and deeply concerned by the severity of the failings in care that have been identified at Cornelia Heights by council and CCG officers and the Care Quality Commission.
“These are frail elderly people who should be nurtured in their golden years and provided with the quality of care we would all want for a loved one.
“We must, and will, work calmly and carefully with our health and care partners to ensure we support both the residents and their families at this upsetting time for them all.”
UPDATE TUESDAY – In a statement, the owners of Cornelia House have said:
“We are saddened and upset by the decision taken by the Isle of Wight Council to terminate its contract with Cornelia. As a result, we will be working with the local authority to move our residents into alternative accommodation as a matter of priority. This will be done with respect, care and in full collaboration with our residents and their relatives to ensure that the process takes place in a safe manner.
“This decision comes as result of safeguarding concerns raised by the Compliance Team from the local authority. We believed that significant improvements had been made when these concerns were raised, and we remained fully committed to address any outstanding issues. However, the council opted for more drastic action of terminating its contract with us which makes it unsustainable for us to operate as a care provider.
“We are very sorry at this sad outcome which has an impact on our residents and our staff – who the CQC noted “…have demonstrated a commitment to wanting to provide people with effective care. Staff were kind and caring and spoke to people respectfully”. This is a sad day for Cornelia Heights and I thank our caring hardworking staff for all their efforts at this difficult time”.