Communities across the Isle of Wight are preparing to come together and remember their loved ones at special Lights of Love services in aid of Earl Mountbatten Hospice next month.
A total of 15 events are taking place in towns and villages, alongside 2 main events that are being held at Newport Minster at 19:00 on Friday 2nd December and at Earl Mountbatten Hospice at 16:00 on Sunday 4th December. The services bring together prayers of dedication, hymns, inspirational readings and the lighting of candles, to commemorate lives and loves past.
Nigel Hartley, Chief Executive, said:
“We are very grateful to all those who are organising a Lights of Love service in their local community, which gives everyone wherever they are the opportunity to seek comfort in the solidarity of others at this special time of year. These services offer a time of reflection and pause, where we remember the people that have meant so much to us throughout the years.”
As well as giving people an opportunity to remember those who have died, Lights of Love supports the ongoing work and development of services in the community and at Earl Mountbatten Hospice. By dedicating a light on the Christmas Tree at the hospice, those taking part are also raising much needed funds to support Islanders and their families through difficult times.
Anyone dedicating a light will also have their loved ones’ names commemorated in the Lights of Love Book of Remembrance, which will be on display at both the hospice and Newport Minster services. It will then be on permanent display in the hospice Chapel.
To make a dedication, people can pick up a leaflet in one of the hospice’s ten shops, visit the hospice website at www.iwhospice.org or phone the Fundraising team on 01983 217300.
See below for a full list of Lights of Love services:
- Friday 2nd December – Newport Minster, Newport at 19:00
- Friday 2nd December – St Peter’s Church Garden, Seaview at 19:00
- Sunday 4th December – Earl Mountbatten Hospice, Newport at 16:00
- Wednesday 7th December – St Mary’s Church, Brighstone at 19:00
- Wednesday 7th December – St Catherine’s Church, Ventnor at 19:30
- Thursday 8th December – All Saints Church Hall, Newchurch at 18:00
- Thursday 8th December – The Cedars Pub, Wootton at 18:30
- Thursday 8th December – Cowes Methodist Church, Cowes at 18:30
- Friday 9th December – Shanklin United Reformed Church, Shanklin at 19:00
- Saturday 10th December – Around the Tree opposite Stag Inn, Lake at 12:30
- Saturday 10th December – Holy Trinity Church, Bembridge (Parade at 17:00, Service at 17:30)
- Saturday 10th December – The Square, Yarmouth at 18:00-19:00
- Sunday 11th December – St Agnes’ Church, Freshwater at 18:00
- Sunday 11th December – The Vine Inn, St Helens at 19:00
- Monday 12th December – Rookley Green, Rookley at 18:00
- Thursday 15th December – The White Lion Pub (or St George’s Church if wet), Arreton at 18:00
- Saturday 17th December – Sandown Baptist Church, Sandown at 18:00