30,000 PEOPLE DOWNLOAD NEW CORONAVIRUS TRACING APP ON THE ISLE OF WIGHT

30,000 Islanders have already downloaded the NHS’ coronavirus contact tracing app –  just 48 hours after it  went live on the Isle of Wight.

As previously reported by Island Echo, Island residents are being encouraged to support the nation by being part of the next phase of the Government’s Test & Trace Programme. The app officially went live this morning (Thursday) but it has been available since Tuesday afternoon.

To download the app, simply visit >> covid19.nhs.uk << on your mobile browser.

So far, 28 people have said they have developed symptoms of coronavirus and have reported it through the app.

Bob Seely MP has hailed the Island’s ‘extremely strong’ response to the new contact tracing app and is encouraging more people to download it. He’s said:

“The response so far has been amazing, individuals, companies and organisations have really rallied round to support this project. I would like to thank everyone who has supported it so far and urge anyone who hasn’t to do so immediately.

“Around 40,000 letters have gone out today with more following. Every Island household should receive their letter by Monday.

“We have the chance to be part of history and to help lead the country out of this wretched period. The UK is watching so let’s continue to rise to the challenge.

“There may be glitches, but that’s the point of a pilot. We can help shape the app and make it the best it can be. If you have any feedback about the app, please email me so that I can pass this on to the team developing this app.”

Nonames
Nonames
1 year ago

75 percent of islanders apparently want the tracing app. now its released. ok but if your phone is below android 8.0 you cant use it. (android 8.0 released nov 2017) um we dont even have virgin lol

Nonames
Nonames
Reply to  Nonames
1 year ago

Is this 30,000 have accessed the page (page visitor counter) or successfully downloaded? I am in much doubt about these figures

Nonames
Nonames
Reply to  Nonames
1 year ago

And why does the Irish and other country versions install fine. (Unusable due to location but no compatibility issues?)

Lalalalaa
Lalalalaa
Reply to  Nonames
1 year ago

So how many other countries apps do you have

Reply to  Nonames
1 year ago

30,000 is the overall figure – the app can be downloaded by anyone who is not living on the isle of wight – the app providers are asking that non island residents do not upload any data, as it is solely for the island at this stage.

So, the reality is – a large number of this 30,000 may not even be living on the island.

Dippy
Dippy
1 year ago

Would be a lot more if it worked on older phones, ridiculous!

John Goodchild
John Goodchild
1 year ago

I did download it but then I got an alert on my phone to say it was draining my battery so I’ve uninstalled it

Sharon
Sharon
Reply to  John Goodchild
1 year ago

Bloody charge it then, dont just uninstall because of that. We need to get this disease under control & get the app so people can know if they’re in danger. I fir one have been locked down for 6 weeks & got a minimum of 6 weeks left.
There are plenty of us on the island that need to know were safe & this app will help by giving us the heads up if a family member has been near someone with symptoms.
It’s people like you that cant be bothered to put a plug in that will not be helping vulnerable people. (Jumps off soap box)

Reply to  Sharon
1 year ago

Sharon – there are plenty of us who have been working non stop throughout this virus situation and we do not need or want an app. We haven’t had the “luxury” of sitting on our arses at home all day, preaching and barking orders at others.

I will not be downloading this app at all, ever.

Roger C
Roger C
1 year ago

Needs to tell you how many cases there are in your postcode area

Terry
Terry
1 year ago

So 28 people have suddenly developed symptons and reported within a couple of hours of the app going live. Where did this info come from, can’t see the NHS releasing it that quick without wanting to verify.
That’s a rapid peak in a very short time, and that is worrying, if it’s true.

Molly
Molly
Reply to  Terry
1 year ago

28 people won’t have ‘suddenly developed symptoms’. These people could have been displaying symptoms for days, it is just that only now they have the app, they can report them. Also the app went live on Tuesday for council employees and health care workers, so some of them cases could have been reported between then and today. Lastly the symptoms include a cough. Having a cough does not necessarily mean they have covid-19, so that doss not suggest a ‘rapid peak in a very short time’!

David
David
1 year ago

So the government can’t even make sure the aquired PPE from Turkey is up too our standard. 400,000 can’t be used.
And you expect the app to work on your phone, think again.
Sorry but someone somewhere want to get there head from up there ass and do there job.
Rant over for now

Martin (Ryde)
Martin (Ryde)
Reply to  David
1 year ago

Their there and they’re… Learn them!

Martin (Newport)
Martin (Newport)
Reply to  Martin (Ryde)
1 year ago

Yeah cos the spelling is the important thing here isn’t it? Get the right and all those PPE items will be totally usable won’t they……..?

Phil
Phil
1 year ago

I couldn’t give a monkey’s about Big Brother watching me and have downloaded to play my part. The biggest risk that I can see is the brain dead morons who think it’s hysterically funny to spit, cough and sneeze on things in supermarkets. I can only imagine the fun they will have reporting their fake symptoms and causing mayhem everywhere.

worried
worried
Reply to  Phil
1 year ago

If you see someone doing that, you need to report them. I went to Waitrose yesterday and most people in there were behaving themselves, apart from a fattish, slobby-looking woman with tattoos who kept going the wrong way down the aisles, walking in front of people who were trying to go down the right ways, she pushed in front of me a couple of times just so she could keep touching stuff on the shelves, taking things out and then putting them back after breathing all over them, I also saw her outside spitting on the ground, but apart from that one example, everyone else there was doing the right things, maintaining distance etc, I would have been horrified if witnessing what you have described, those people should be reported.

Dee
Dee
1 year ago

Just where are these figures coming from… As if we didn’t know. 100,000 smart phones on an island where 25 per cent of the population are 65+ – really? And 30,000 have downloaded! Hmm. Hancock with his Churchill complex, trying to rally the troops (backed by various surveys which quote huge percentages in favour of the app, yet fail to quote how many actually voted) , showed no interest whatsoever in the Island and the difficulties it has faced during decades of under-funding. Yet suddenly we are leading the charge, with all manner of inducements (£90m hospital overspend written off, several million for the IW Council and its sterling work – eg hitting struggling businesses even harder, with idiot moves like shutting delivery only garden centres where customers were never in any danger from those deliveries). How much is this trial costing? Technology aside, individual letters to 60,000 households! Wouldn’t… Read more »

Jill
Jill
Reply to  Dee
1 year ago

My word Dee, very well said!
I’m sure the government will announce the App as being hugely successful whatever the outcome.
My guess off the top of my head is 25% of the Islands population will be able to down load it.
Would be good to know how islandecho come up with 30,000, not that I’m saying it’s not correct.

Fred
Fred
Reply to  Dee

3.5 millon

KayJay
KayJay
Reply to  Dee
1 year ago

The moaners will moan and whinge about it as is their right while the rest of us quietly get on and download the app.

John goodwin
John goodwin
1 year ago

My phone isn’t android 8 so cannot install it so much for the government working it out properly. There will be loads of these phones on the island. We are not all Tec heads.

Not American
Not American
1 year ago

I’ve just listened to Mr Seeley bragging on The World at One about what an amazing success it is with 30,000 being enough for an adequate trial.
Hardly if another 20,000 are excluded because their mobile phones are pre Android 8 or iOS11.
Having a high number of willing but excluded, and consequently invisible, people undermine any contamination control.
What percentage of IOW and UK phones are likely to be excluded?
After all the hype of the last few days instead of pointlessly bragging about an app. that plainly isn’t anywhere near ready Matt Hancock and Bob Seely should be kicking the arses of the NHSX techs. into the middle of next week.

Freda
Freda
Reply to  Not American
1 year ago

Seldom seen Seeley, suddenly appears!!

Chris
Chris
1 year ago

Have tried to download app but found out that I can’t as phone is too old.

Derek (Ryde)
Derek (Ryde)
Reply to  Chris
1 year ago

Mine to wont download it and it’s android 6 don’t think that’s very old.

Malabar
Malabar
Reply to  Derek (Ryde)
1 year ago

As already pointed out you need at least Android 8. For that it means something like a Samsung Galaxy 9. Even going for less-well known phones you are talking about £300 to be able to join in and contribute with the App. Does my social conscience stretch that far? Probably not.

Tintin
Tintin
1 year ago

My iPhone 4s does not support iOS 11 so I have contacted the NHS requesting an alternative which they have stated will be available soon, hopefully!

Clare
Clare
1 year ago

I have downloaded the app, however, I do worry about the idiots that use it for some kind of fun by claiming they have symptom when they don’t…

Quite majority
Quite majority
Reply to  Clare
1 year ago

Well there you go, something else to worry about.

KayJay
KayJay
Reply to  Clare
1 year ago

But they will be tested and when it comes back negative people will be told. There may be a few people who do that but the majority of the user’s won’t.

Reply to  KayJay
1 year ago

and after they have been tested, another group put misinformation into the app, you get a text and back to the testing you go – it is full of holes. Then you get a genuine message and go back for more testing – how many times are you expected to get tested, sit at home, get tested, sit at home, etc… just because an app tells you to.

Lorraine murton
Lorraine murton
1 year ago

Great idea ….hope us islanders can be the first to get us out of lockdown …..bring it on …

David
David
1 year ago

Tried to download this morning. My phone saying app not supported even though I have correct version of android. My wife’s phone only 3 yrs old but it’s coming up software too old and not compatible. Wrote feed back to NHS only for them to reply with bog standard letter saying I need to be in UK! Obviously didn’t read my email properly. Waste of time!

hedger
hedger
1 year ago

Cannot load it and there seem to be a lot of similar named named sites asking for personal details and money. Beware.

Real Islander
Real Islander

baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa !!!!

Billy
Billy
1 year ago

I installed it on Android 7. I think the information saying Android 8+ is just wrong.

Old bean
Old bean
1 year ago

WHAT A BUNCH OF WIGHT WHINGERS least the government are trying to do something about this horrible virus if you can’t download the app get new phone bet most of you have got money for drugs / drink tho WHINGING WIGHTERS

Nicholas Hannon
Nicholas Hannon
Reply to  Old bean
1 year ago

You really are an idiot if you think this is the government trying to do something about this mess, they caused this mess and this app is an attempt to make stupid muppets like yourself think they are somehow saving us, use your head before throwing s**t at people less fortunate than yourself… What drugs are you on cause you’re clearly on something to be coming to conclusions like that

weeble
weeble
1 year ago

I could do with a parcel tracing app, the hermes courier keeps losing or stealing my parcels, wonder if it is to fund a drug problem…

Stefan Attrill
Stefan Attrill
Reply to  weeble
1 year ago

Hermes – fail to deliver goods even when the online app states they have. I don’t trust Hermes at all. I’ve seen how Hermes sort their parcels; in a public car park, parcels are strewn all over the parking area, in the wet.

Chris
Chris

Every time I try to download the App it says App not found

Mark
Mark
1 year ago

This is such a good news story for the island and country, well done the 30,000. Others, please stop whinging about the perceived negatives. 28 people have reported symptoms and they’ll alert anyone they’ve been in contact with, they’ll self isolate until tested and results known, already it may have saved lives and prevented the spread further. What is there to moan about? Hopefully ‘none given’ and ‘Mr Justice’ will stop spreading their poison now on these discussions – losers

Mr justice
Mr justice
Reply to  Mark
1 year ago

Obviously mark you have not bothered to read my posts ,yet come up with the assumption that I am,some how spreading poison as you put it. Please anybody that has the desence and respect of other people’s opinions and points of view, please tell me what poison I have spread? Yes I have posted facts,facts that seem incredibly untrue, but as I always say, research yourself and you will indeed find them true. Please remember mark,we are adults and if the content is to upsetting for you, then go play with some toys. Everyone deserves an opinion, including you.

Mark
Mark
Reply to  Mr justice
1 year ago

But your opinion is dangerous! You scare some people putting them at risk because they think they’re being tracked all the time and that this is the start of a totalitarian state. The facts seem incredibly untrue because they are! Once the pandemic is over uninstall the bloody app if anyone’s that worried. You and none given’s smart ass replies don’t impress, nor upset me, they’re ridiculous, but then I’m probably more intelligent than you and down loaded the app

mr justice
mr justice
Reply to  Mark
1 year ago

I hope the app brings you comfort in this horrid time, and watch you say is, partly true. You can just uninstall the app once ,it seems there is no more use for it. Now the part you got wrong was about the totalitarian state. You claim to be intelligent, if that was the case sir, you would have an open mind on the subject ,and not closed,probably never to be open because of the lack of intelligence. As for scaring people? Your government and it’s political brain washing tool the bbc ,have done enough of that for a life time. I hate that the British people are being lied to, that’s why I report FACTS!!

Reply to  mr justice

Wouldn’t waste your breath Mr Justice

mark and the others are just mindless drones doing as they are told by a group of people who chose to be politicians. These politicians, many of whom, only a few months or a year ago, were doing regular jobs, as they were not MP’s – why should we trust their opinion.

We voted these people into their respective offices to oversee the administrative functions of the towns and cities we live in.
This is so that we do not have to organise our own bin collections or sweep the road ourselves – not so these little hitlers can spy on us or dictate to us.

Those behind the politicians are agenda driven and should be treated with scepticism – always.

Mr justice
Mr justice
Reply to  anon
1 year ago

Anon, its incredible isn’t it, how people attack me for trying to show them what is going on,that will effect not only their lives, but more importantly, their children’s and grand children’s lives! I’m not here to scare or hurt anyone, have not used foul language, and only defended myself when needed. Yes I am getting a bit tired now, I do like to read other people’s posts.

Reply to  Mr justice
1 year ago

yes mr justice – however, in the coming months and years, all that has been said will come to pass, yours and my posts will have been forgotten, however, they will have been proven accurate – those denouncing the posts, will be willing participants in the world we describe and they still won’t see it for what it is.

KayJay
KayJay
Reply to  mr justice
1 year ago

No you report opinions, not facts which is fine as this is a free country and everyone can have their say.

Mr justice
Mr justice
Reply to  KayJay
1 year ago

Please tell me ,which facts that I have reported ,are not facts!? Social credit, aganda21 ?

Reply to  Mr justice
1 year ago

for hackers this is the ultimate prize. a widely available and widely downloaded app that connects your phone to everybody else’s … there will festivities on hacker forums.

Reply to  Mr justice
1 year ago

mr justice – for some light reading

check out financial times today..

China’s Covid-19 QR code surveillance state
Phone-based system controls entry and exit to neighbourhoods and taxi cabs

Mr justice
Mr justice
Reply to  anon

Reply to  Mr justice
1 year ago

no problem mr justice – you will no doubt find it interesting.

mr justice
mr justice
Reply to  anon
1 year ago

Wow anon, if you came on here and repeated what you read in the Financial Times , you would be a conspiracy person, as that fool mark would say,spreading poison. But there it is ,in black and white, but still the sheep people won’t believe it, until the introduction .Then it’s to late. Thank you for that bit of REAL news FACT. Tc

Mark
Mark
Reply to  mr justice

idiots

On your side
On your side
1 year ago

There’s going to be no where near enough people for one reason or another going to use this app so there won’t be enough data produced to be able to give a high indication of who’s got it or been near someone who’s got it ,just not enough phones taking on the app

nonom
nonom
1 year ago

dont want to be a rat being traced thanks

West Wighter
West Wighter
Reply to  nonom
1 year ago

If you nothing to hide what’s the problem.
Unless your from east Wight of coarse!!!!!

On your side
On your side
1 year ago

This app needs sorting so it’s fully available to all those who want it ,bloody shambles

J Morris
J Morris
1 year ago

I was keen to download the app but like many others my phone would not update to an ios 11. Disappointed.and hope this problem won’t adversely effect the numbers.

Quite majority
Quite majority

March of the penguins

Dave
Dave
1 year ago

Funny you say 30k have downloaded it yet the app itself say 5K have?

Linda
Linda
1 year ago

My phone wouldn’t accept app so for £60 I bought a new one as I am key worker it’s not rocket science well done to everyone who has already signed up let’s keep going.

Old bean
Old bean

Nicholas Hannibal you talk shit

Muster Fusilier
Muster Fusilier
1 year ago

Anyone know what an app is? They assume we all know about them and have iphones. Never assume anything. I still use an old 1916 Fuller telephone!

Dr Alan Byron
Dr Alan Byron
1 year ago

I downloaded it no problems. The only thing is that it said it will not work on a Huawei. Guess what.. This is a Huawei l!

Noname
Noname
1 year ago

It doesn’t work with older phones because they don’t have 5G capabilities. Something to think about

Island Lad
Island Lad
1 year ago

WHAT A LOAD OF OLD CRAP BEING POSTED HERE!!!!!!!!!!