VEHICLES BADLY DAMAGED IN CRASH AT ARRETON CROSS

Published:

Emergency services are attending a road traffic collision at Arreton Cross this afternoon (Friday).

Police and ambulance crews have responded to the incident, which has occurred on the junction of Arreton Street and Downend Road.

A Renault has sustained significant frontend damage, with damage also sustained to a Vauxhall van.

It’s thought a third vehicle may also be involved.

The Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service were mobilised to the incident but quickly stood down.

Police are working as quickly as possible to clear the scene and get the busy junction back open for rush hour.

Paramedics from the Isle of Wight Ambulance Service are checking over those involved in the crash, but no serious injuries are thought to have been reported.

We're working on bringing you all the latest updates on this breaking news story.
Please refresh this page or check back later for updates.

Do you have information, photos or video relating to this incident? Email [email protected]

Jim Jude
Jim Jude

LOL can’t wait for the keyboard warriors to jump on this one

Kathy
Kathy
Reply to  Jim Jude

An awful junction, so easy to make a huge roundabout there, cutting the frustration and slowing traffic. Many leave indicators on, when coming from Newport but DON’T turn up towards the Hairy Hound, and people waiting to pull out get frustrated and pull out to go to Newport.

Simple cheap solution, a huge roundabout, not so tiny silly one, have spare ground doing nothing, GET ON WITH IT,

yet sooner waste hundreds of thousands of silly cameras which will be broken, vandalised or the evidence not valid for some obscure reason.

John Smith
John Smith
Reply to  Kathy

Redesigning junctions to cope with increasingly incompetent drivers simply leads to even less attention being paid, resulting in more accidents elsewhere.

John thomas
John thomas
Reply to  John Smith

Blah blah blah very boring !!!!

yes way
yes way
Reply to  Kathy

Before a roundabout is considered I’m sure several hundred thousand quid will be spent on extensive hedge cutting, kerb alterations, and new road markings.

Ron
Ron
Reply to  Kathy

You must be an incompetent driver if you think this junction is dangerous. How do hundreds of drivers each day manage the junction safetly.

David ford
David ford
Reply to  Ron

But this is the 2nd accident here in two weeks the sun is low and blinds you coming up the road

Miss sensible
Miss sensible
Reply to  David ford

Yes the sun is low but sunglasses are available, I can’t believe how many driver’s I see screwing their eyes up at junctions, you also have the sun shield in your car .
I am not being rude but it’s not rocket science .

Ron
Ron
Reply to  David ford

Everybody else seems to manage

Kathy
Kathy
Reply to  Ron

Only be others taking evasive action.

White top
White top
Reply to  Ron

Hit the nail on the head mate.

Kathy
Kathy
Reply to  Ron

You don’t ‘see’ how many near misses, how many drivers quick actions avoid more serious accidents.

A roundabout rather than having a massive queue up the hill to the H and H, is best done NOW before it is ‘essential

It won’t get any cheaper the longer you leave it, so DO IT NOW

Average intelligence human
Average intelligence human
Reply to  Kathy

Negotiated that junction for over 40 years without incident. No action required. These minor collisions are all the fault of the driver/drivers of the vehicles involved. Some would have traffic lights, roundabouts at every junction. As all sensible considerate road users know all these so called aids to driving simply cause unnecessary hold ups.

Gullible Islander
Gullible Islander
Reply to  Kathy

If you were a good driver then you know never too trust an oncoming vehicle until it’s made its manoeuvre.
Sod the person behind you if they beep you. You pull out when safe.
That junction is safe, it’s just the awful driving standards of a lot of islanders. I’m an islander so dont accuse me of being a mainlander, and if you dont want your council tax going up even more every time someone calls out for a roundabout or junction improvements then learn how to drive properly.

Caroline.
Caroline.
Reply to  Gullible Islander

Well said! Hardly a day goes by without some idiot making a dangerous manoeuvre on the roads. How many of the drivers have actually passed their test I wonder..

Gullible Islander
Gullible Islander
Reply to  Caroline.

It happens too often and islanders seem to have a huge problem with negotiating mini roundabouts and junctions.
As my old instructor told me ” you learn to pass your test. Then you learn how to drive”
As we all know once you’ve passed, you think your King or Queen of the road.

Charlie
Charlie
Reply to  Kathy

Would love a roundabout, that would be ideal but it is said that apparently the proposal for one was declined after a rare butterfly (which happens to be all over my garden and the Down beyond) was seen there ‍♀️ I find the junction easy but have witnessed an unbelievable amount of near misses. The back up traffic up Downend Road is awful (which would benefit from a roundabout too) to where people block up driveways which ends up with the other side getting held up too.

The oracle
The oracle
Reply to  Jim Jude

Yes, you for a start. Idiot.

Jolly Roger
Jolly Roger

Whoops – should have gone to specsavers !!

Shanklin Grouch
Shanklin Grouch

Reading these comments has left me shocked! Talk of people ACTUALLY using their indicators, because they bloody well don’t in Shanklin town center

bob watch
bob watch

such a poor junction.
No filter left towards Shanklin – there is room but not used.
there is room for an island to slow the Newport traffic down – they travel far to fast

Truth
Truth

Being Patient, and aware of your surroundings would help, too many drivers take chances without realising the consequences if things go wrong..

Jolly Roger
Jolly Roger
Reply to  Truth

Defensive driving – reading the road as per Highway Code helps.

YJC
YJC

Three and a half years ago I wrote to Island Roads suggesting that a roundabout at that junction would keep traffic moving and save a lot of frustration. I followed it up again two years ago in March 2019 and was told
The details of your request were passed to our Safety Officer who agreed with your suggestion”
(and I still have the communication)

Pcw
Pcw
Reply to  YJC

because it’s a silly idea

Pcw
Pcw

A roundabout is the worst solution, Island Drivers think you must:-
Not Indicate a roundabout’s,
If you do indicate you must use the wrong ones,
Use righthand indicator to go across a roundabout,
You must increase speed as you approach a round about,
Not make any effort to negotiate a mini roundabout,
If the roundabout has 2 lanes you should not use your mirrors and squeeze car beside you into the roundabout .

Mr Anderson
Mr Anderson
Reply to  Pcw

I’m getting fed up with this mentality that islanders are the bad drivers. Being an Islander, you can easily spot people who are used to driving on the mainland. They don’t necessarily live on the mainland, but they’re used to being on bigger roads. They’re the one’s who don’t slow down at roundabouts, pulling out in front of others, racing to get on the roundabout before the car to their right head quite approached them. Honestly, you get onto the mainland and this is the norm – it’s a free for all. Also, I’m an island driver and I know how to use a roundabout, as do most of us, so quit using generalisations.

Davimel
Davimel
Reply to  Mr Anderson

But you have just used a generalisation regarding those who drive on the mainland! Truth is that many Islanders were taught to drive on quiet roads but we now have perhaps 2 cars per household, young drivers passing their test on Monday and driving 160mph cars on Tuesday, Bigger Wagons, Busses almost too wide for the roads, Tractors doing 40mph instead of the 10mph of old, Horses, Caravans and Tourists all wanting the same bits of road! A small slip of concentration now results in bigger damage to vehicles designed to crumple and longer delays waiting for recovery vehicles to fight through the traffic to remove said vehicles.

White top
White top
Reply to  Mr Anderson

After decades of dealing with bad driving i can honestly say that the standard of driving on the island is abysmal and the worst i have ever witnessed, god only knows how many managed to pass their tests.

Tom
Tom

Is the lock down over then? A lot of cars out. Just asking as I saw a man and his son playing Pokemon on their phones in Ryde as I took my dog for her daily 30 min walk. They were still out two hours later walking past my house on their phones.

Gullible Islander
Gullible Islander
Reply to  Tom

What lockdown?????
I thought they just shut retail, pubs and restaurants. Due to the amount of traffic and accidents I wouldn’t say there was one.
Maybe I’m wrong but I can’t remember a single accident in the first lockdown.

Ivan
Ivan

Just seen the pictures if that vans a write off could I have the head light asking for a friend

Miss sensible
Miss sensible

Headline vehicles badly damaged!!!
Should read crumple zones save impact on occupants, cars have crumple zone’s for this reason that’s why accidents can look worse than what they are .
Meanwhile hope occupants are ok .

Why.. ?
Why.. ?

Again !! Drivers do not take the time to LOOK… before entering another street. I had a near miss the other day, coming down a road all of a sudden a car came tearing around a corner at me from a side street… Had to quickly try my ABS brakes.. after driver reversed, and I drove on, the driver beeped horn a few times.. probably cursing me for braking…. ( I was on way for my Covid jab ! ) I can see the headlines, driver killed on way to Covid.. not from having it..
Drivers are driving too fast, not looking, not judging.. probably due to less cars on road so no bumper to follow.. or slow driver jn front..

Why.. ?
Why.. ?

STOP LOOK LISTEN>..INDICATE… LOOK TWICE…. BUT before you get in/on your vehicle.. THINK… is this trip essential.. ?