SUSPECTED MURDERER WHO FLED TO THE ISLE OF WIGHT ARRESTED BY POLICE

Published at:

A 47-year-old man wanted on suspicion of murder following the discovery of a woman’s body in Bognor Regis has been arrested on the Isle of Wight this morning (Sunday).

A major manhunt was launched in the Sandown area late last night with officers surrounding Los Altos Park, as first reported by Island Echo. The search, which involved the National Police Air Service helicopter, was prompted by the launch of a murder investigation earlier in the day.

According to Sussex Police, they were called to a property in Collyer Avenue, Bognor Regis at 15:51 yesterday after a 52-year-old woman was found by a caller following concerns that she hadn’t been seen or heard from for a couple of days.

Article continues below this advertisement

At around 20:00 last night, officers from Hampshire Constabulary rushed to the hovercraft terminal at Quay Road in Ryde after intel was received that the suspect in the investigation had travelled to the Isle of Wight. Unfortunately, the male had fled before officers could locate him.

Then, at around 22:30, Police sighted the suspect in Sandown and created a ring of steel around Los Altos Park with officers located at every entrance and exit. Almost every resource available on the Island was utilised in the area.

Despite the assistance of the National Police Air Service helicopter, which circled overhead for some 90 minutes, the suspect is thought to have evaded capture until this morning (Sunday) when officers made an arrest.

It has now been confirmed that a 47-year-old man from Bognor Regis has been arrested on suspicion of murder. He was arrested at an undisclosed location on the Island this morning.

Article continues below this advertisement

Detective Chief Inspector Alex Geldart, who is leading the Surrey and Sussex Major Crime Team investigation, said:

“Our thoughts are with the victim’s family at this tragic time. They are being supported by our family liaison officers”.

A post mortem examination to establish the cause of the woman’s death will be taking place today.

The views/opinions expressed in these comments are solely those of the author and do not represent those of Island Echo. House rules on commenting must be followed at all times.
25 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Martin Elvey
Martin Elvey
9 months ago

Why an undisclosed location?
Presumably (having evaded the one hovercraft terminal), and finding himself surrounded by the Sandown ‘ring of steel’ and all the islands police resources plus a helicopter the man must surely have been arrested in Sandown then????

John M
John M
Reply to  Martin Elvey
9 months ago

Who cares where he was arrested? I’m more interested in the fact that due to excellent work by our police force they got him and he is now in custody and off our streets

Mal49
Mal49
Reply to  John M
9 months ago

Also if he managed to get here in lockdown how many more have. Our numbers here are going up not plateauing or going down.

Barry
Barry
Reply to  Martin Elvey
9 months ago

Or handed himself in and they won’t say to save them the embarrassment

Frank
Frank
Reply to  Martin Elvey
9 months ago

Does it really matter where he was arrested,? People continually having a pop at the Police, REALLY ?. Get a life mate.

Tintin
Tintin
Reply to  Frank
9 months ago

Well said Frank, too many people are too quick to comment without engaging a brain!

CeeCee
CeeCee
9 months ago

How did he get on the boat in the first place? I thought there were restrictions in place?

Furloughed Frank
Furloughed Frank
9 months ago

If only we were told earlier, we could have all gone down to the beach to spread more deaths to the innocent. Good job the Police kept this quiet until today.

Stay safe all

Shanklin Steve
Shanklin Steve
9 months ago

How and why on earth are people still being allowed to travel to the Island? I thought we were in lockdown? What is it the ferry companies can’t do that allows this to happen? This is putting us ALL at risk!

Bumblebee
Bumblebee
9 months ago

Why come to the island where he would be trapped!! Unbelievable !!! obviously in a rush to evade the local police but caught by Isle of Wight police officers. Well done.

Tintin
Tintin
Reply to  Bumblebee
9 months ago

Clearly is not a criminal mastermind!

Fred Nurke
Fred Nurke
Reply to  Bumblebee
9 months ago

It’s in the story, that the police were told by Hovertravel staff that he was crossing the water. Give them full marks for being public spirited

Gentleman farmer
Gentleman farmer
Reply to  Fred Nurke
9 months ago

Did the criminal only buy a one way ticket then? They shouldn’t let rubbish like that here, if not murdering be up to summit I bet

Magical mag
Magical mag
9 months ago

Well done all those services involved in capturing this man, big thank you for keeping the Island safe xx

Tintin
Tintin
Reply to  Magical mag
9 months ago

Here here!

Tintin
Tintin
9 months ago

Unnecessary comment and clearly not informed

Rox
Rox
9 months ago

Well done to the police for getting him but how the hell did he get on hovercraft I thought ferries and hovers were being monitored for non essential travel so how many bank holiday tourists have also got over this weekend possibly bringing more covid 19 cases more care needed at tbe ports

Julie barnes
Julie barnes
Reply to  Rox
9 months ago

It shows they are not being monitored

none given
none given
Reply to  Rox
9 months ago

The government has not instructed public transport operators to request proof of essential travel – such as island residency for those travelling to the island or a key worker authorisation letter from their employer to travel to the mainland or back again.

This means that public transport can ask customers not to travel unless essential, however, have no right to decide what is or isn’t essential travel for each customer.- they are not the police

Opinions Matter
Opinions Matter
Reply to  Rox
9 months ago

A question for our island MP Bob Seely surely? How are the permanent residents of the IOW ever going to be safe and the island free of CV? We the residents have been asking for essential supplies and key worker travel only for weeks but out safety is obviously not a priority

worried
worried
Reply to  Opinions Matter
9 months ago

I don’t think we are ever going to be safe again. World travel will see to that. And heard on the radio news half hour ago this virus is never going to go away now, and we all have to learn to adopt how we live to accommodate it. This is terrible news for people anyway, and worse for people with severe anxiety conditions, like me and my friend who I am extremely worried about, he is in his eighties and getting more infirm from not being able to go out, and also seems extremely depressed now saying he doesn’t… Read more »

Mal49
Mal49
Reply to  Opinions Matter
9 months ago

Absolutely. Considering lockdown has been three weeks and quarantine just 2 weeks why are our number going up, plus the ratio of cases, to deaths, is about 15 percent. For gods sake Bob Seely needs to get something done we obviously won’t have the facilities to accommodate ourselves in hospital let alone mainlanders who end up her quarantined and then needing a bed….

Yamm
Yamm
9 months ago

He probably forgot about the Sandown lockdown beach massive, whereupon he gave up instantly

Jules
Jules
9 months ago

Clearly a more shared opinion than tintin’s though… Twice as much in fact.

Tan
Tan
9 months ago

In light of this, is it not time Bob Seeley asked the police & maybe other forces, to question people on the ferries & hovercrafts as to why they are coming over? He obviously wasn’t a key worker. If they want people to respect the police, in terms of stopping, questioning, moving people on & maybe fining people, how is it the police can’t extend that power, to the ferries? I understand why the lockdown is in place & respect the rules. But, i also understand how many folk think the rules don’t apply to them, if they hear the… Read more »

Football Betting Site Betway
 

Join our daily newsletter

News, Traffic & Travel Tweets