This is your weekly round-up of some of the latest court cases heard at the Isle of Wight Magistrates Court.
The defendant’s name, age, address and details of the charge(s) and sentence are published in accordance with Criminal Procedure Rule 5.8, as agreed by HMCTS and the Society of Editors and approved by the Lord Chancellor. Not all cases heard will appear on this round-up due to legal restrictions.
This article is published from official information issued by HM Courts and Tribunal Service and is covered by qualified privilege. Please note: names/details of convictions will not be removed from this article on the basis of the convicted individual or their families requesting such action.
Monday 20th September – Friday 24th September 2021
• James Simon Birchenough, 32, of Osborne Road in East Cowes, was made subject to a 6-month community order for causing harassment, alarm or distress and possession of a Class B drug – cannabis. The order includes 15 rehabilitation days. Birchenough was also handed a restraining order and ordered to pay £85 costs and a £95 surcharge.
• Benjamin Francis Gothard-Smith, 39, of Hunnyhill in Newport, admitted failing to comply with the requirements of a community order. The original order was varied and includes 20 rehabilitation days with an alcohol abstinence and monitoring requirement. He was also ordered to pay £60 costs.
• Andrew John Smith, 60, of Gobles Close in Ryde, was found guilty of assault by beating. He was made subject to a 12-month community order with 20 rehabilitation days. He was also handed a restraining order for 12 months and was fined £80. He must also pay costs of £200 and a £95 surcharge.
Smith pleaded guilty to 3 counts of failing to surrender to bail.
• Levi Aaron Randall, 26, of Dubbers in Godshill, was given a 4-month prison sentence, suspended for 18 months, for a number of offences including 3 counts of assaulting an emergency worker, 2 counts of assault by beating, criminal damage, resisting arrest, possession of a Class B drug, using threatening/abusive/insulting words or behaviour with intent to cause fear of violence and witness intimidation. Magistrates ordered him to complete a 6-month alcohol dependency treatment programme, pay £700 compensation
• Adrian Palmer, 32, care of Southfield Gardens in Ryde, pleaded guilty to drug driving. He was disqualified from driving for 12 months and fined £250. He was also ordered to pay £85 costs with a £34 surcharge.
• Warren Russell, 37, of Sandown Road in Shanklin, admitted possession of a knife. He was given a 16-week prison sentence, suspended for 12 months. He must complete 10 rehabilitation days and complete a 6-month drug rehabilitation programme, as well as paying £85 costs with a £128 surcharge.
• Matthew Thomas, 49, of Goring road in West Sussex, pleaded guilty to being drunk and disorderly in a public place. He was given a 12-month conditional discharge and ordered to pay £85 costs with a £22 surcharge.
• Martin Cooper, 34, of Barfield in Ryde, admitted failing to provide. He was given a 36-month driving ban and ordered to pay £85 costs with a £95 surcharge. He must also complete 250 hours of unpaid work.
• Dayle Campbell, 34, of Great Preston Road in Ryde, pleaded guilty to drink driving (69) and possession of a Class A drug – cocaine. He was given a 18-month driving disqualification and fined £200. He was ordered to pay £85 costs with a £40 surcharge.
• Tom Johnson, 40, of Barton Road in Newport, pleaded guilty to drink driving (59). He was given a driving ban for 18 months, fined £120 and ordered to pay £85 costs with a £34 surcharge.
• Lee Arnold, 37, of Kestrel Way in Newport, admitted assault by beating. He was given a 3-month conditional discharge but recalled to prison as he committed a further offence whilst on licence for the offence of murder. He was ordered to pay a £22 surcharge.
• Matthew Sutherland, 36, of Sandham House in Fort Street, Sandown pleaded guilty to assault occasioning them actual bodily harm. He was given a 26-week prison sentence, suspended for 12 months. He must complete a 10-day alcohol treatment and was made subject to a restraining order. He was also ordered to pay £250 costs with a £128 surcharge.
• Alex Graham, 23, of Cockleton Lane in Gurnard, pleaded guilty to drug driving – cannabis. He was given a 12-month driving disqualification and ordered to pay a £120 fine, £85 costs and a £34 surcharge.
• Thomas Ralls, 20, of Main Road, Bouldnor pleaded guilty to drink driving (49). He was given a 12-month driving ban, fined £207 and ordered to pay £85 costs with a £34 surcharge.
• Tomas Bateman, 31, of The Square, Freshwater pleaded guilty to sending an offensive/incident/obscene/menacing message and 2 counts of using threatening/abusive/insulting words or behaviour to cause harassment, alarm or distress. He was given a 12-mont community order with 25 rehabilitation days and 9 months alcohol treatment requirement. He was also ordered to pay £85 costs with a £95 surcharge.
Don’t miss another story! Get the Island’s latest news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up to our daily newsletter here.