This is your round-up of some of the latest court cases heard at the Isle of Wight Magistrates Court.
Monday 23rd November – Friday 27th October 2020
• Robert Alain Church, 32, of Steephill Road, Shanklin admitted breaching the community requirement of a suspended sentence for assaulting a Police constable and criminal damage. The suspended sentence was changed to 20 weeks, suspended for 20 months, with 20 months of supervision. He must also pay £60 costs.
• Josh Courtney, 28, of HMP Isle of Wight (Parkhurst), was given a 6 month prison sentence for 3 offences of assaulting a prison officer with bodily fluids, saliva and urine.
• Shaun Lee Snow, 38, of Station Avenue in Sandown, was given a 12 month conditional discharge for possession of Class B AND Class C drugS. He was ordered to pay £22 surcharge. The cannabis, diazepam and xanax has been forfeited.
• Kyle Sam Smith, 34 of Bellecroft Drive in Newport, pleaded guilty to sending an electronic communication – namely a voice message – that was grossly offensive or of an indecent, obscene or menacing character. He was made subject to a community order to complete 80 hours of unpaid work with 32 rehabilitation days attached. He must also pay £85 costs with a £95 surcharge.
• Danny Burnett, 58, of Wellesley Way in Newport, admitted assaulting an emergency worker x2, assault by beating, causing harassment/alarm or distress and causing a nuisance or disturbance to a National Health Service staff member. He was given a 14 week custodial sentence.
• Jody Alyn Hayles, 43, of Rew Street in Gurnard, was fined £120 for possession of Xanax – a Class C drug. He was ordered to pay £85 costs with a £34 surcharge. The Xanax was forfeited. He also pleaded guilty to causing harassment, alarm or distress, for which there was no separate penalty.
• Shaina Louise Collyer, 29, of Station Avenue in Sandown, was fined £40 and made subject to a community order with 20 rehabilitation days for using threatening/abusive/insulting words or heaviour to cause harassment, alarm or distress. The court found the offence was racially aggravated. She was also told to pay costs of £85 with a £95 surcharge.
• Terry McGee, 51, of Verbena Close in West Drayton, Middlesex, was handed a 3 month prison sentence, suspended for 12 months, for possession of a kitchen knife at Landguard Road, Shanklin. He was ordered to pay £85 costs with a £128 surcharge. He must also carry out 120 hours of unpaid work.
Don’t miss another story! Get the Island’s latest news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up to our daily newsletter here.