DOG ATTACK LEAVES 2 SERIOUSLY INJURED – POLICE OPEN FIRE ON STAFFY MASTIFF CROSS

A dog has been shot dead by Armed Police after an attack left 2 people with serious injuries in Sandown last night (Sunday), with 1 woman being flown to Salisbury Hospital with potentially life-changing injuries.

As first reported by Island Echo, Police were called to the Fairway to deal with what Hampshire Constabulary say was reports of a dangerously out of control dog – now confirmed to be a Staffordshire terrier and Mastiff cross.

The incident, which occurred shortly after 22:00, saw the dog attack its owner – a woman in her 40s – leaving her with serious and potentially life-changing injuries. Island Echo is told that she has sustained substantial arm injuries and has been flown to a specialist plastics hospital in Salisbury.

A man in his 20s, who is known to the owner, was also attacked by the dog. He remains in St Mary’s Hospital with serious injuries.

Golf Links Road, Sandown where the attack took place shortly after 22:00 on Sunday 19th July 2020

Hampshire Constabulary have confirmed that armed officers were deployed to the scene where the dog was dispatched to prevent any further members of the public coming to serious harm.

Inspector Matt Moss has this morning said:

“We understand the circumstances will be incredibly distressing for the public, but please be reassured that it is very rare for our officers to have to deal with an incident of this nature.

“The two injured people remain in hospital at this time and our enquiries remain ongoing to establish how this incident happened.

“The dog involved did have to be destroyed at the scene by attending officers. We do not take these sorts of decisions lightly, and we are confident that this was absolutely necessary in the circumstances to protect the wider public, due to the threat that the dog posed.

“We would like to thank the two members of the public who stopped at the scene in their vehicle to assist the two injured people prior to the arrival of emergency services. Thankfully they were unharmed, and their actions may have prevented the dog from causing further injuries.”

It is currently unclear what caused the dog to turn on its owner.

An Audi at the scene of the attack, which was being driven by passers-by

tintin
tintin
1 year ago

How very sad for the victims and the dog. Wishing the injured well

2thepoint
2thepoint
Reply to  tintin
1 year ago

The owner needs further investigation. Too many chavs own these dogs as an accessory not a pet.

NOT saying this one was roughly treated but many are by people who want a dog for the wrong reason, ie a legal aggressive weapon. The owner if such should be done for the damage any such dog does, as if they had caused it themselves.

Kim massey
Kim massey
Reply to  2thepoint
1 year ago

The poor dog is always the one who suffers in the end

Bob
Bob
Reply to  Kim massey
1 year ago

I’m sure had it of been aggressively attacking your child, sister, mum etc it wouldn’t be such a poor dog, if a dog decides to savagely moul people then it unfortunately has to be destroyed,

anon3
anon3
Reply to  Bob
1 year ago

dogs are a direct descendant of a now extinct species of wolf. Dogs are loyal and will defend a friend to the death if necessary,
however, mistreat it and it will turn on you one day, if it is strong enough.

something or someone annoyed the hell out of that dog. It paid with its life.

Remus
Remus
Reply to  Kim massey
1 year ago

What do you mean poor dog you moron, it was obviously dangerous and should have been killed ,no ifs or buts

Mark Jennings
Mark Jennings
Reply to  Remus
1 year ago

Would you say the same if it was an “obviously dangerous” human?
Fascist! Bigot!

Opinions Matter
Opinions Matter
Reply to  Remus
1 year ago

To Remus. The dog was not born this way. If you know anything about dogs, this dog was treated badly or trained to be vicious. In the wrong hands they are a lethal weapon. Yes the Police did the right thing and it must have been horrendous for the victims but remember, the dog is also a victim.

stephen campbell
stephen campbell
Reply to  Opinions Matter
1 year ago

These breeds should be banned or destroyed it’s happening too often I am just glad it was the idiot owner and not a young innocent child who suffered.

Judy Cooper
Judy Cooper
Reply to  stephen campbell
1 year ago

Don’t blame the breed . Any dog even a jack Russell is capable of attack if the circumstances are that the dog had no other choice . I get fed up with people blaming the breed . Sandie is full of junkies and maybe , just maybe the dog ate something it shouldn’t have. Or it could be done sort of brain tumour to cause this . Unless a postmortem is done on this dog no one can say . Let’s hope the vets have done one to understand why this happened .

Lorna Perry
Lorna Perry
Reply to  stephen campbell
1 year ago

Do you KNOW the owner? Well enough to call her an idiot? Well enough to be glad she has been seriously injured?

Lorna Perry
Lorna Perry
Reply to  stephen campbell
1 year ago

hmmmm, I carried on reading, i take back my first comment!

Reply to  stephen campbell
1 year ago

Idiot owner? The only IDIOTS are people like YOU who are TOO QUICK to comment when you DON’T KNOW the FACTS!!!!

Silver lining
Silver lining
Reply to  Opinions Matter
1 year ago

And people aren’t born terrorists either. On your logic, we should sympathise with them too if they attack and then get shot dead.

Lady Longdown Dunne-Standing
Lady Longdown Dunne-Standing
Reply to  Opinions Matter
1 year ago

Sad business. Poor dumb animal. Measured response from you, sir.

Lady Longdown Dunne-Standing
Lady Longdown Dunne-Standing
Reply to  Remus
1 year ago

I probably agree with you about the destruction of the animal, not so much the rudeness towards someone who said ‘poor dog’. Any animal destroyed if you ain’t eating it is sad news. In this particular case it was probably kinder for man and beast that the hound was removed from the situation. Still, have a little heart, sir. Especially with a name like Remus… Remember who raised the original, and his brother Romulus. Regards, Lady Dunne-Standing.

Brian Rollinson
Brian Rollinson
Reply to  Kim massey

stephen campbell
stephen campbell
Reply to  Kim massey

Great news

Bob
Bob
Reply to  2thepoint
1 year ago

Would hardly call a 40 year old woman a chav, aggressive dogs should be destroyed, they are animals at the end of the day which were once wild, to many people become gullible to their pets that they are almost human and loyal, an animal can turn at any time pet or wild, poor people

Reply to  Bob
1 year ago

You don’t know that woman, I know who she is, she always has those sort of dogs purposely, this time this one turned on her. Don’t just think a woman in her forties is some innocent angel, because nothing could be further from the truth.

Nin Williams
Nin Williams
Reply to  2thepoint
1 year ago

Totally agree with being owned for “wrong reason” deed not breed!!… Top of the biters in all A/E’s being jack Russell’s…. I own two staffie x. Who have been bought up well and do as they are told, one has the staff lockjaw. One does not… But you would get a bigger bite from my furry ankle snapper dougal of a dog, than the other two…. Thoughts go out to the owner, who at the end of the day has had her life changed, her dog shot, and is the only person who knows the truth of this awful matter

Reply to  Nin Williams
1 year ago

Yes the truth that I have described above

Reply to  2thepoint
1 year ago

I know who she is, and you’re totally right!

Victor
Victor
Reply to  tintin
1 year ago

Why do people want these dogs as pets

Mrs brown
Mrs brown
Reply to  Victor
1 year ago

Why not! If looked after properly and shown love and respect! It’s when dick heads get them and mistreat them that they get a bad name because the dog has had to snap, due to being ill treated!

Reply to  Mrs brown
1 year ago

I worshipped the ground that my dog walked on !!!! He was NEVER MISTREATED !!!!! I had him since he was 12 weeks old. GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT.

Gabrielle
Gabrielle
1 year ago

Its how the dog is being brought up and is trained to not be visious

Bob
Bob
Reply to  Gabrielle
1 year ago

Even dogs that are adored and brought up well can still turn, it’s instinct! Dogs are animals who were once wild, they will always have that in them

Nwo
Nwo
Reply to  Bob
1 year ago

My rottweiler turned after his annual booster, kept strict regime and he was still a loyal friend till the end, just dont put them in a situation that could go wrong..best dog I’ve ever had too.. just didnt like to be touched after a visit to the vets and jabs he turned

Reply to  Bob
1 year ago

Thank you Bob, yes that is very true, I have seen it many times over the years. Instinct is instinct and once Rusty got a taste and smell for the blood, that was it, just like a shark attack

Pete
Pete
1 year ago

Do we know what they were up to in a remote lane at the rear of the golf club/holiday park?

John M
John M
Reply to  Pete
1 year ago

I wondered whether they walked the dog late at night because its quiet and not many people about, especially given the breed…but that was just what had crossed my mind, I could be miles from the truth and I’m sure someone will comment to tell me so!

Reply to  John M
1 year ago

Nothing to do with what time of day or night that it was. We were walking back from the shop on perowne way, my dog lost all control of himself when another dog ( who was roaming around in the dark in the pitch black in that area suddenly approached him WITHOUT warning from behind!! We tried to settle him back down but he was irate and agitated by this time and started to display worrying and agitated behaviour before he got us on the ground and started to maul us to death

Reply to  Pete
1 year ago

What do you mean ‘ do we know what they were upto??? ‘ I will tell you what we were upto as you ‘ put it ‘ we were on the way back to my smallholding, returning from the Perowne Way shop which is near to where the REAL ‘ CHAVS ‘ live that burned two of my caravans down to their chassis’s in an arson attack last year. Perhaps you would like to furnish yourself with the details by searching for ‘ Caravans destroyed by blaze in Sandown ‘ on the internal search engine on this Island Echo website!! They also caused THOUSANDS of pounds worth of DAMAGE to my Class One Fiat Ducato Motorhome by smashing her to pieces inside and out.

Reply to  Pete
1 year ago

Yes we were walking back from the shop on perowne way where all the ‘ REAL CHAVS ‘ hang around who burned two of my caravans down to their Chassis’s and smashed my 36 year old Classic Fiat Ducato Motorhome to absolute pieces inside and out causing THOUSANDS of POUNDS worth of DAMAGE. That happened while I was living elsewhere for two years, but whilst I am in hospital, one of my friends are staying down Tinker’s End to watch over the place for me from vandals.

Remus
Remus
1 year ago

By the way I am a dog lover , and have owned dogs , well trained behaved dogs !

dogmick3
dogmick3
1 year ago

two dogs of the same cross killed a woman ripped her to bits in nova scotia two weeks ago

Reply to  dogmick3
1 year ago

Well there we have it then. Perhaps it wasn’t MY FAULT after all??? Staffordshire Bull Terriers make unreliable crossbred dogs and you should NEVER cross a Rhodesian Ridgeback with another breed, but I didn’t breed Rusty and didn’t know that back then.
I bought him off a girl from West Cowes when he was 12 weeks old.

Bart
Bart
1 year ago

Staffordshire Bullmastiff Staffordshire Bull Terriers and Bullmastiffs are bred together to create the hybrid Staffy Bull Bullmastiff, which is a medium to large sized dog with a sweet personality. These dogs may look big and scary, but in reality they are cuddly giants who love their family and are very protective of them. Because of their calm nature, the Staffy Bull Bullmastiff is a great companion for children and can also live in apartments, as long as they are big enough. They have a few health concerns to watch out for, but have a good lifespan of around 12 to 16 years.

Mal
Mal
Reply to  Bart
1 year ago

I have a Staff x Mastiff and she is soppy and docile. She is just a little bigger than a pure staff but not large. She is great with my children and so affectionate towards us all. Mine is only 3 years old and I hate the though of in another 10 years I will loose her 🙁 Staff and Staff x always get a bad rep

Reply to  Bart
1 year ago

What a load of tripe!!? For starters my dog that nearly mauled us to death the other night, had NO Mastiff blood even in him whatsoever and for you to say that Bullmastiffs are a ‘ great ‘ companion for children??? Are you joking?? Bull Mastiffs are huge in side and can be aggressive!! How can you say that an animal such as that would make a great companion for children??? What the hell IS IT with you busybodies who attempt to give all this ‘ good advice ?’ but honestly KNOW absolutely NOTHING AT ALL about dogs ????
ALL DOGS CAN BE DEADLY DANGEROUS !!! And ONLY a FOOL would DISAGREE who didn’t know what they are talking about!!!

Jill
Jill
1 year ago

It was the owner and her friend who were attacked.
Unless you know the lady owner in question, there’s no evidence to suggest she’s a “chav”. For all we know she’s been misled by either the breeder or a previous owner.
Just strengthens the case for buying a puppy from a reputable breeder, or adopting from an animal charity. To many people breeding cross breeds for ridiculously inflated prices.
A terrible incident for all concerned.

Stephen
Stephen
Reply to  Jill
1 year ago

Yes we bought a miniture cross poodle springer and hes 3 x as big as he should be
we got lied too i think but hes a lovely dog so not too bothered now

Reply to  Jill
1 year ago

She always has those sort of dogs, purposely.

Charlotte HL Mathers
Reply to  Someone who knows.
1 year ago

You DON’T KNOW ANYTHING!! ONLY how to be a SPITEFUL JEALOUS and SICK SLANDERER and I am going to get you prosecuted for what you have been doing to me. That is A PROMISE.

Fred
Fred
1 year ago

At the end of the day it’s the breeder who’s at fault. I agree with Jill, to many breeding dogs for financial gain, with no thought for the sire and dams lineage, temperament or health issues

Mal
Mal
Reply to  Fred
1 year ago

We bought our puppy of a friend and saw mum and dad so knew what we were letting ourselves in for. Always do research as we looked at buying a Frenchie but the one we were going to see seemed a little fishy as was very rude about history of parents etc

Wayne
Wayne
Reply to  Mal
1 year ago

A bit fishy it wasn’t a dog fish was it

Anne
Anne
1 year ago

Heart felt thoughts to the for lady and her friend.
Also…..run free poor dog, you never asked to be born. xx

Mr C
Mr C
1 year ago

We must not judge the dogs breeding or the owner. The dog may have had a neurological condition which which was not apparent and suddenly trigger of. Both breeds are loyal family dogs and I would prefer to have one of these around than a designer mongrel with a made up name.

Smithy
Smithy
Reply to  Mr C
1 year ago

Yes true. It’s not very common for a pet to turn on their owners to that degree. Must’ve been a reason whether it’s medical or mistreatment only time will tell.
As is usually the case the dog pays the ultimate price often through no fault of its own. People need to be more careful where they get their dogs from and you can never do enough training.
Shame we can’t treat some people who “turn” or are dangerous and aggressive the same way!

Fred
Fred
Reply to  Mr C
1 year ago

A valid point Mr C, and I agree both these breeds are reliable to have around in the right hands, and from breeders who know the lines from which the puppies are to be bred from.
I’m not knowledgeable enough to say whether a neurological order in dogs could be heredity or not, although it certainly can be in humans.
But it does highlight the need for potential owners of dogs to research the breed and breeders of dogs they are interested in. Likewise breeders should ensure the pups they breed go to appropriate homes, the good ones do I’m sure.
Whatever, this was terrible thing to happen, my sympathies to all involved.

Remus
Remus

Yes Mark Jennings I would and I’m no fascist or bigot

Magical mag
Magical mag
1 year ago

What’s happened is terrible and untill the owner speaks about it we dont have a clue but heres s different scenario..what if the 20 yr old male has attacked the lady ,so the dog went mad and accidentally bit the owner in its frenzy by mistake, my dad tried to stop a fight once in a pub and he got bitten on the bum by the pub dog by mistake?…Just hope
That the people involved will be okay xx

Egor
Egor
1 year ago

Bloody poor dog it could have killed someone…. poor dog my ass

Smithy
Smithy
Reply to  Egor
1 year ago

Read these comments. Owner sounds to blame. Not many dogs will turn on their owner like that.

Reply to  Smithy
1 year ago

I wish I could say everything I know about her, for years. But just saying minor things means my comments don’t get posted here. Let’s just say Karma is a bitch.

Someone who knows.
Reply to  Someone who knows.
1 year ago

I know some of my comments have shown up here, but anything I posted that goes into a little more detail and gives more facts and insight is not showing up. Just don’t waste much of your sympathy on her is all I can say.
I wish I could tell all, but there’s no point as even in posts where I mention a little more of the facts, they are not showing up, only the vague ones are that don’t tell much.

Mrs brown
Mrs brown
Reply to  Someone who knows.
1 year ago

So much for free speech ah! Sounds like she deserved it. Poor dog!

Opinions Matter
Opinions Matter
Reply to  Someone who knows.
1 year ago

By what you have written sounds as if she got what was coming to her. Only at the expense of the dog who she mistreated lost its life. Only the life the poor dog had, it is possibly better off now. She should be banned from keeping any animal if she is as bad as you are implyingy

Anxious
Anxious
1 year ago

Out on a walk last summer my husband (who is definitely no whimp and can hold his own) was attacked by a dog of the same description. He was on a footpath running alongside the golf course. On passing a caravan that is always parked there the dog jumped from a nearby car and was trying desperately to bite him. Luckily he managed to hold the dog off with a stick until a woman of the same age group as lady who was attacked came out of the caravan some three minutes later, and after aggressively having a go at my husband, grabbed the dog by the collar, put it back in the car and went back in the caravan without a word of apology. Is this coincidence?

Martin Shoebridge
Martin Shoebridge
Reply to  Anxious
1 year ago

Perhaps the police might take that on board as assisting in their enquiries…. would do no harm to mention it.

Anne
Anne
Reply to  Martin Shoebridge
1 year ago

Agree, Police should be made aware.

Michael.
Michael.
Reply to  Martin Shoebridge
1 year ago

Good idea, it might help to give a full description of the lady.

Reply to  Anxious
1 year ago

No it is not coincidence. Spot on. I could say a lot but won’t. Just that woman should be banned from ever owning a dog again.

unknown
unknown
Reply to  Someone who knows.
1 year ago

There is no such thing as a bad dog its a bad owner I have had staff’s all my life and never had a bad one I have also rescued staff’s lots of them to they are the most loyal and loving animal you could wish for i no her to say no more

Reply to  unknown
1 year ago

Yes, say no more. I only wish we could though! Sadly the truth can’t be easily told, it wouldn’t be shown if we tried.

faye
faye
Reply to  Someone who knows.
1 year ago

Banned from having dogs and horses! The rspca have removed enough horses from her care

Reply to  faye
1 year ago

Yes, I hope there are no animals of hers left there now. I know she had a lot of different creatures at one time.
I tried replying to you before, but they haven’t allowed it to show up for some reason, unless it will show up much later? I wish I could say all I know but it most likely wouldn’t be allowed, although on facebook, someone mentions her name, at least just her first name, I wish we could just be truthful about what we know without having to worry, but can’t sadly.

Charlotte HL Mathers
Reply to  Someone who knows.
1 year ago

No of course you CAN’T BE TRUTHFUL, BECAUSE you are NOTHING MORE THAN A JEALOUS VINDICTIVE SPITEFUL LIAR who is insanely jealous of me and my land. Leaving nasty notes on my van when it was parked outside my place in the lane!!! I reported you for that too!!! DON’T YOU WORRY, the Police WILL be CATCHING UP WITH YOU, VERY SHORTLY!! Bye for now.

Reply to  faye
1 year ago

I hope they have checked to make sure there are no animals of any kind left there now. (Apart from wild animals that is that live there naturally.)

Reply to  faye
1 year ago

The RSPCA have removed NO horses from my care. I signed them over to them to be simply re homed because my ex boyfriend went to prison for fourteen months for making a habit of strangling me unconscious, so I had to live in fear of my life for three and a half years until the council FINALLY decided to re house me!! NOW GET your FACTS RIGHT and STOP SPREADING your poisonous lies, because as it stands RIGHT NOW; You and your MALICIOUS LIAR of a ‘ friend ‘ WILL be getting punished by the police for HARASSMENT, DEFAMATION of CHARACTER and MAKING THREATS TO KILL!!!

Lorna Perry
Lorna Perry
Reply to  Someone who knows.
1 year ago

your comments don’t say much but they sure as heck tell people a lot, which seems to be the truth.

Opinions Matter
Opinions Matter
Reply to  Someone who knows.
1 year ago

You need to contact the police and report what you know to them. You can do it anonymously. Hope this woman never gets another animal again. I would contact the RSPCA also.

Just saying
Just saying
Reply to  Anxious
1 year ago

I agree, mention this to the police, can’t do any harm. Hopefully they would be able to determined if this is the same Woman & Dog involved. If it is I’m sure this information could be valuable to discover what really happened here.

Reply to  Just saying
1 year ago

I shouldn’t think it would come as any surprise to the police, they have had dealings with her going back years for one reason or another.

Last edited 1 year ago by Someone who knows.
Concerned
Concerned
Reply to  Anxious
1 year ago

Local dog walkers avoided walking past where the dog was kept for fear of being attacked should the dog escape.

worried
worried
Reply to  Concerned
1 year ago

It was being kept there shut up in a car from what I read on fb.

stephen campbell
stephen campbell
Reply to  Anxious
1 year ago

Did he report the incident to the Police?

Reply to  Anxious
1 year ago

Your a liar. I wasn’t down the land last summer!!

Mal
Mal
1 year ago

How awful. I own a staff x mastiff and she is so docile and soft. But it is all down to the upbringing. Staffs get a bad rep anyway and this incident wont make it any better. Hope all the people involved make a speedy recovery.

Daphne
Daphne
1 year ago

Gosh how awful for all involved. I’ve owned Mastiffs for years and I’ve never had such a docile breed. They are usually gentle giants.

Kostas Quiteabit
Kostas Quiteabit
Reply to  Daphne
1 year ago

And your experience proves or means what?

Old bean
Old bean

All dogs should be shot

Anne
Anne
Reply to  Old bean

Why?

Lorna Perry
Lorna Perry
Reply to  Old bean

Idiot

Replying to an idiot!!!!!!
Replying to an idiot!!!!!!
Reply to  Old bean
1 year ago

no darling… I think it’s indeed you that should be shot!! Idiot!!

Xenaaintworkinganymore
Xenaaintworkinganymore
Reply to  Replying to an idiot!!!!!!
1 year ago

Would this woman’s Christian name be something along the lines of charlie

Reply to  Old bean
1 year ago

No, it’s the scummy lowlife owners of such dogs to blame. They should be banned from ever owning an animal ever again.

Last edited 1 year ago by Someone who knows.
Xenaaintworkinganymore
Xenaaintworkinganymore
Reply to  Someone who knows.
1 year ago

Would this woman’s name be Charlie?

Mrs brown
Mrs brown
Reply to  Old bean
1 year ago

What a twat! You need shooting!

What on earth
What on earth
1 year ago

Will it be classed as domestic violence with a woman getting injured by her partner for no reason.