The Isle of Wight has officially entered Tier 3 restrictions today (Boxing Day), so Island Echo has compiled a list of what you can and cannot now do.

Stringent restrictions mean that you can only leave home for certain reasons as of 00:01 this morning, although this practical third lockdown is more relaxed than previous restrictions with schools remaining open and businesses encouraged to keep trading.

Police have the power to fine and/or charge any individual who disobeys the Government.

Article continues below this advertisement

From today, Islanders must comply with the following rules:

Meeting friends and family

Can I meet friends/family indoors?
You cannot mix with other households indoors, unless you are in a support bubble with them.

Can I meet friends/family outdoors?
You cannot mix with other households outdoors, unless you’re in a support bubble with them. The exception is that you can meet in public places up to a maximum of 6 people. This includes parks, beaches, playgrounds etc. but does not include private gardens.

Bars, pubs and restaurants

Can I go to a hospitality venue?
Bars, pubs, cafes and restaurants will be closed except for takeaway services, drive-through or delivery. This does not apply to hospital canteens, care homes and schools.


Will shops have to close?
Retail shops can stay open. Shops should continue to follow COVID-19-secure guidelines.


Can I go to work?
Everyone who can work from home should do so. Where people cannot do so, they should continue to travel to their workplace.

Article continues below this advertisement

Can I continue to work in other people’s homes?
You can work in other people’s homes, if following COVID-secure guidelines, under all tiers.

Education and childcare

Can my child attend nursery/school/college/university?
All schools, nurseries and colleges are to remain open as normal.

Indoor leisure and exercise

Can gyms, leisure and sports facilities remain open?
Gyms, leisure and sports facilities remain open as normal.

Can group exercise / classes take place?
Group exercise classes cannot take place. However, organised activities for elite athletes, under-18s and disabled people can continue.


Can hotels, B&Bs, campsites, holiday lets and guest houses open?
Accommodation such as hotels, B&Bs, campsites, holiday lets and guest houses must close, with some limited exceptions.

Personal care

Can I still go to the hairdressers, barbers or other personal care services?
Personal care and close contact services – such as hairdressers and barbers, beauty salons, tattoo parlours, nail salons, spas and beauty services, saunas, steam rooms, massage parlours and tanning salons – can remain open.

Overnight stays

Can I stay somewhere else overnight?
You should not stay overnight outside of your own household and/or area other than where necessary.

Weddings, civil partnerships and funerals

Can weddings, civil partnerships and funerals still take place?

Weddings, civil partnership ceremonies and funerals must only take place in COVID-secure venues or in public outdoor spaces unless in exceptional circumstances.

You can have up to 15 people for wedding or civil partnership ceremonies – but receptions are not permitted. 30 people are allowed to gather for funerals.


Are entertainment venues allowed to open?
Indoor venues – such as soft play, bowling alleys, indoor skating rinks, cinemas and theatres – must now close.

Zoos, farms, water parks, museums and theme parks can remain open, but the indoor element of these attractions must close.

Places of worship

Will places of worship remain open?

Places of worship can remain open for services. However, you must not mingle with anyone outside of your household or support bubble.


Can I travel within my area?

You can continue to travel within your area but you should reduce the number of journeys where possible. Plan ahead and avoid busy times and routes on public transport. You should also avoid car sharing with those outside of your household or support bubble.

Can I travel outside my area?
You should avoid travelling outside your area, other than where necessary such as for work or education. Further exemptions apply.

Visits to care homes

Can I visit my relative in a care home?
Visits to care homes can take place with arrangements such as substantial screens, visiting pods, and window visits.

Large events

Can I attend a live event?
Large outdoor events including performances and shows should not take place, with the exception of drive-in events.

The views/opinions expressed in these comments are solely those of the author and do not represent those of Island Echo. House rules on commenting must be followed at all times.
Football Betting Site Betway

Join our daily newsletter

News, Traffic & Travel Tweets