PUBLIC HEALTH BOSS ENCOURAGES ISLANDERS TO GET VACCINATED IF THEY HAVEN’T ALREADY DONE SO

The Isle of Wight’s director of public health, Simon Bryant, is encouraging Islanders to continue to get vaccinated – whether it’s a first, second or booster dose.

It comes as new rules in respect of face coverings come into force due to concerns over the new Omicron variant of the virus.

Face coverings are compulsory again in shops and settings such as banks, post offices, hairdressers and public transport while all travellers returning to the UK must take a PCR test on day 2 and self-isolate until they receive a negative result.

All contacts of suspected Omicron cases must self-isolate, regardless of their age or vaccination status. Test and Trace will be in touch with those cases.

The measures have been introduced as a precaution while more information is gathered and assessed on the variant’s transmissibility and any possible effect on the vaccines. The rules will be revisited in less than 3 weeks’ time, with the Health Secretary Sajid Javid today (Wednesday) saying that things may be reviewed even sooner.

Simon Bryant, the council’s director of public health, has said the vaccination programme and test, trace and isolate system continues to be the most effective way of reducing transmission, along with practising good hygiene, keeping spaces well ventilated, and wearing masks. He has said:

“I encourage everyone to get vaccinated, whether it’s their first or second dose or booster. Research has shown the vaccines help reduce the risk of getting seriously ill or dying from COVID-19, as well as reduce the risk of catching or spreading COVID-19 and protecting against variants.”

However, the vaccination rollout has been declared a ‘train crash’ by one local councillor, as Islanders struggle to get an appointment.

Councillor Karl Love, Cabinet member for public health, adds:

“I can’t emphasise enough the importance of continuing with our COVID safe behaviours, particularly with Christmas on the horizon.

“Wearing a mask, letting in fresh air when you meet at home, hand washing and social distancing are all going to play a big part this festive season. Please take an LFT test before you enjoy a Christmas event or go and mix with people you don’t normally see.

“All these things together will help protect our Island community this winter. It’s far better to go the extra mile to protect each other and the gains we have all worked so hard for.

“Don’t forget to use keeptheislandsafe.org for COVID-19 information for the Island.”

plato
plato

Is this some kind of sick joke??? Has this fool literally no idea of the shameful train wreck of the booster fiasco and the impossibility of getting jabbed here?

Or is he deliberately trying to add insult to injury?

Know it all
Know it all
Reply to  plato

The blokes a compete cretin. Has he been away, probably with the fairies, idiot.

Ryde Reader
Ryde Reader

All the rallying calls in the world won’t help if you can’t get an appointment on the Island! Scant info re walk ins. All a bit chaotic. Staff and volunteers are great when you get there but the booking system is rubbish. Managed to get my booster eventually, right place, right time scenario. I have a feeling that many will give up!

Smell the coffee
Smell the coffee

Does this bloke not follow local news and know what a mess the booster vaccine roll-out has been on the Island?

As my grandad used to say, wouldn’t pay em in washers.

Sharon
Sharon

Is he for real? I’m still waiting for my 3rd vaccine before I can even get my booster! I’ve been waiting since 15th October for an appt. Trouble is, if you have allergies & on biological medication they just don’t bother. They need to get the AstraZeneca vaccine & seems like they just can’t be bothered to me.

Steve
Steve
Reply to  Sharon

Got my booster on Saturday but if its not AZ then I wont accept it
I font do drugs but i do know you shouldn’t mix drugs
If im not offered AZ like the first two ill take my chances

just saying
just saying

I wonder how much he’s being paid, to be completely and utterly clueless of the real situation, which the rest of us are only to well aware of.

steve
steve
Reply to  just saying

don’t think he can read, he was informed of major breaches of covid rules during first and second lockdowns but those involved continued to breach the rules multiple times, he did nothing!! Just like now burying his head in the sand and grabbing a huge wage for doing NOWT!!!!

Bojosays?
Bojosays?

I really can’t believe that this guy gets paid a fortune to tell us this, especially when you can’t even get a booking for the booster. What excellent use of tax payers money for this clown

Just a thought
Just a thought

Simon Bryant should be absolutely ashamed of himself with those comments when it is almost impossible to get a booster jab.

oldbutalive
oldbutalive

My partner who is a carer has been unable to get any appointments to get the booster except of course on the Mainland in several weeks time.
There six months since the second jab was up 3 weeks ago.
No help from their doctor and as for booking online …… no comment.