LOCKDOWN EXTENDED BY 3 WEEKS UNTIL 7TH MAY CONFIRMS GOVERNMENT

The Government has announced that the current lockdown restrictions will remain in place for another 3 weeks until at least 7th May, but life will not go back to normal straight away when the restrictions are eventually eased.

Since the evening of 23rd March, when Prime Minister Boris Johnson addressed the nation, Islanders have been following the Government’s instructions to stay at home to protect the NHS and save lives. According to the data available on new cases of COVID-19, this appears to have had the desired effect with the country now reaching the peak of the pandemic.

As a result of advice from the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies, the Government has this evening (Thursday) confirmed that the lockdown must continue to fully get over the peak and lead the country on the right path to recovery.

The current restrictions will continue until 7th May 2020 when another review will be held. First Minister of State, Dominic Raab, has said that 5 points must be met before the lockdown will be adjusted or lifted:

• Be able to protect the NHS
  • See sustained and consistent fall in the daily death rate
  • Presence of reliable data from SAGE to show the rate of infection is decreasing
  • Ensure a range of operational challenges, including PPE and testing, is in hand
  • Confidence that any adjustments to the lockdown will not risk a second peak of infections

Matt Hancock, the Health Secretary, earlier today said that life will not go back to normal straight away with a phasing out of the restrictions planned when it is deemed the right time to change the current situation. It is unclear how the restrictions will be phased out, but it could be by age group or even region.

Suzie
Suzie
4 years ago

So all the idiots breaking the rules stay in.

Retired Cop
Retired Cop
4 years ago

The local Constabulary should check-out all the Allotment users, who appear to spend all-day, every-day socialising closely whilst not really achieving very much at this early stage of the growing season. The lads & lassies in Blue are hard-pressed enough at present, I know, but enforcement must be seen if we are all to conform to this current situation.

Roma
Roma
Reply to  Retired Cop
4 years ago

This is very concerning I have knives and sharp instruments when I am working on my allotment – no doubt I would be prosecuted by these police thugs when they invaded my space at the behest of interfering “RETIRED COP”

Suzie
Suzie
Reply to  Retired Cop
4 years ago

I can’t believe you said that @Carol how awful of you.

Suzie
Suzie
Reply to  Retired Cop
4 years ago

Who owns the land where they are? How is that essential. Could be deemed exercise. Just seems selfish really.

Retired Cop
Retired Cop
Reply to  Retired Cop
4 years ago

Carol sounds a real ‘lovely’ does’nt she !, oh how I would love to meet her.,as for Roma well if her atitude towards the police is to call them thugs, well we can guess what sort of history she has !. Seriously Echo, allowing comments like suggesting someone catches the virus and dies, has’nt been properly monitored has it. For the sake of all the decent people out here who read your news, please keep a closer eye….after all, we give you our e-mail addresses, so wre can ALL be traced if necessary.

Mel
Mel
Reply to  Retired Cop
4 years ago

I pay for my allotment .. I live in a 1 bedroom flat .. I would welcome being fined by police .. I will then have a fatal accident walking in front of one of their cars .. they can then claim the monies from my mother .. happy to die than stay in my prison .. no doubt RETARDED COP lives in a big house and garden ..

Henry Mace
Henry Mace
Reply to  Retired Cop
4 years ago

Didn’t get your allotment then did you. Numb from the neck up? None of us are breaking any rules

subby
subby

Stay at (CARE) Home, Stay Safe lol

ITSME
ITSME
4 years ago

Well – with all this going on and the mental stuff that is being thrown at us at the moment about what the lock down is causing, I am very very concerned as I have heard that some old bloke has walked round his garden 100 times – something wrong there!

Mojo
Mojo
Reply to  ITSME
4 years ago

Maybe he’s raising money for Nhs

Janet Taplin
Janet Taplin
4 years ago

Presumably this is from Monday 13th as the law passed by the government said that the review had to take place after 3 weeks NOT 3.5 weeks so u review again ion 4th may
If we break the law we are punished so how shall we punish the cobra committee

Louise
Louise
Reply to  Janet Taplin
4 years ago

Stay at home and stay safe

Mr justice
Mr justice
4 years ago

Oh but of course, another 3 weeks. It’s nothing really, especially when you consider that this is going to be the normal. Restrictions on movement, etc etc..so the government ( sheep dog) is saying,we cant go back to how it was until we find a vaccine. Well there you go,how long is a piece of string. Unbelievable! How to keep you where they want you. See the problem is the longer it goes on,the more people get use to it,and forget what it was like before. Not me I’m afraid, I’m getting ready for when the non sheep people have had enough. Watching with interest

Mathew bradley
Mathew bradley
Reply to  Mr justice

I’m with u mate

Opinions Matter
Opinions Matter
4 years ago

Angry already hearing people asking “how much longer will lockdown continue”. Stay indoors, stay safe. It will take as long as it takes until this terrible virus is no longer infecting people. Can you imagine if the lockdown was lifted too soon, we would have people jumping on ferries and coming to the island which could be a disaster if the virus entered a second wave of infection. Be patient everyone, it will be ok in the end.

Mark
Mark
4 years ago

That’s the way it is folks stay sharp and focused don’t be hard on yourselves or each other now is the time to have the strength to be gentle and kind

Mathew bradley
Mathew bradley
Reply to  Mark

And opening eyes

ron
ron
4 years ago

Perhaps during the next few weeks old people will start to stay at home, stop gassing in the streets,standing really close
in the queue. We ask our neighbours who are elderley if they want help, no is the answer we like our independence
one has now died and guess what with.!! Get your act together old people and stop being selfish.

Mr justice
Mr justice
4 years ago

You people still dont get it do you? It doesn’t matter if every single person stayed in bed for the next three weeks, this lock down will go on as long as they want it to. You people will do as you told, when they tell you. And you can believe all their spin, like keeping boris out the way so know one is going to blame him for this lock down. Amazing! Watching with interest

Jeff
Jeff
4 years ago

It’s not much of a lockdown in Ventnor I can tell you that. Plenty of people casually out and about.

Bus user
Bus user
Reply to  Jeff
4 years ago

Not much of a lockdown in Ryde either! People everywhere, one old woman goes out pushing a doll around in a pram, she’s always out somewhere, She seems normal enough whenever I’ve heard her talking to someone. Maybe the doll needs the fresh air or something.

A crowd of six young people going out yesterday evening when I was coming back form shop. , Saw another young person doing acrobatics on his bike along on the green, is that essential exercise? Supposing he fell and hurt himself? Joggers everywhere, dog walkers, people going past my house at night talking and laughing like they’ve had a night out.

Don’t know where the police are, because they’re missing out on a lot of fines they could be getting from people.

Emma b
Emma b
4 years ago

Shame on you carol. Nasty x

Theresa Davies
Theresa Davies
4 years ago

Mel. I live in a bed-sit but I stay in. I’m unable to see my granddaughters but I STILL stay in! You’ve got a one bedroom flat what difference does it make! We ALL have to stay in!

West wighter
West wighter
Reply to  Theresa Davies
4 years ago

Stop all of your whinging! And spend your time helping others.
You lot really need need to take a step back and take a look and at what’s happening!!
You are all soooooo selfish

Mathew bradley