As the government announces a new 3-tier system of local COVID alert levels – with the Island in the ‘medium’ category – Islanders have been urged not to let their guard down in the continuing fight against coronavirus.
Council leader Dave Stewart has called on residents to make a renewed effort to follow national guidance to #KeepTheIslandSafe and avoid tightened restrictions under the new alert system outlined by the Prime Minister Boris Johnson yesterday (Monday).
The new system, which is intended to simplify the process by which local restrictions are imposed, labels areas as being on medium, high or very high alert. Each level has different lockdown rules but details of the criteria for moving between each level is still to be published.
The ‘medium’ alert level, the lowest current option which covers most of the country, consists of the current national measures. This includes the Rule of Six and the closure of hospitality venues at 22:00, as previously reported by Island Echo.
Thanking Islanders for responding positively to the COVID-19 threat so far, Councillor Stewart says the vital message, Hands-Face-Space, continues to hold the key to protecting the community. He has said:
“There is no doubt that as a whole community we are working hard to ensure that we #KeepTheIslandSafe.
“Our infection rates are currently the lowest in the UK mainland and we need to keep it that way. We will do so if everyone continues as they are and do not take unnecessary risks.
“I want to thank you all for the way you have responded to Covid and the changing government guidance and local messages – there is no doubt that this has helped us keep the rate of infection low on the Island.
“However, there is no room for complacency; the number of cases is increasing and as we head into what is sure to be a very challenging winter — including the half-term break coming up and tackling winter flu — we must redouble our efforts and remain vigilant to the Covid-19 threat.
“Preventing the transmission of the virus is our best form of defence and to achieve that we must all continue to play our part in taking preventative measures to protect our friends, family, colleagues and fellow Islanders.”
These include:
- Keep a safe distance from others — 2 metres is preferable
- Wash your hands regularly and thoroughly with soap and water and use hand sanitiser where it is provided
- Wear a face covering when you are indoors in public spaces and on public transport
- If you have symptoms — a high temperature, new and continuous cough, or a change in your sense of smell or taste — you must self-isolate straight away. Do that, then get a test.
Simon Bryant, the Island’s director of public health, has said:
“I want to thank all residents for what they are doing to prevent the spread of Covid-19.
“We still need to remember to social distance, to wash our hands and to wear a face covering where required and to keep in line with the Rule of Six guidance. All these things are really important to prevent the spread of Covid and to #KeepOurIslandSafe.”
The council is awaiting further details of the new alert system as well as the £1 billion of new financial support announced by government to deliver local services.























































































The majority of residents on the Isle of Wight are not being complacent here it’s the powers to be and Bob Seely who are. By allowing people to flood over here possibly bringing covid19 here and the damn stupidity of mainlanders coming here for testing was and is irresponsible. That’s my opinion and many other people I know have the same opinion as well. Councillor Stewart is taking the piss.
But what about ear wax?
Earwax also known by the medical term ‘cerumen’ is a waxy substance secreted in the ear canal. It protects the skin of the ear canal against bacteria,fungi and water. You could have looked it up yourself but glad to be of help. By the way you’re a crap singer.Have a nice day and stay safe.
There’s only so much we can do when people from higher risk areas are still travelling to the Island. Wales has the right idea where people cannot leave their locked down areas.
Mr “pugwash” stewart, how have you got the nerve to tell the islanders to follow government guidelines when the ferriy companies are allowing “midland fox” national express coaches over here…… full of people from the midlands?????
For once, maybe seely, pugwash and the tourist board should actually stop anyone coming here unless its vital. I have seen so many mainlanders over here recently, more so than usual at this time of the year, obviously because the island is classed as a “safe place”…. Islanders are careful it’s the 2nd homeowners and holidaymakers who are causing the problems. Lock the ferries down for essential supplies, medical treatment for us over here to get to the mainland hospitals for vital life saving treatment. STOP ALL HOLIDAY JOLLIES COMING OVER. Simple.
The residents are doing their best, but what’s the point, unless we stop all the infected coming here. I see Red Funnel and Wightlink are very quiet about this…..
Opening line, blames covid for their financial mismanagement. If I recall they were in trouble before covid. Please correct me if I am wrong. Will have to search for the story from last year.
Well a rare trip too home bargains sun has proved people are totally complacent.was like Xmas shopping day in there.honestly noone was distancing.bumping into…pushing past…all close up! I had too leave with partner as im disabled and could walk through safely.was nuts.we had young guy forcing past brushing his basket but had cheek too think we’re at fault.hoards of groups .awful.touching everything .Not a care for anyone around them.selfish gits
No wonder I dont go out !
Not only that but the staff did not seem to be wearing masks when I went there either, maybe they are ALL exempt.
Optional
Mandatory
Fine words from Pugwash Stewart butter no parsnips for true Island people, who actually live here. ‘Good to go!’, he announced to every holiday maker in the UK… Here they came to escape the plague, and because they ‘deserved a holiday….’ If it was families from council flats in a shite city then I would not mind. They, however, can’t afford the ferry, so we received a barrage of entitled, self important types hell bent on buying houses they hadn’t even viewed, and most likely won’t live in!
COVID-19 is a virus, it is contagious. The rule of six means you can go out in a max. group of six, into pubs or restaurants with all the other groups of six…..please now read the first part again! Why are you guys tearing each other apart and not questioning these ridiculous rules.