Cowes teen Toby Fowler, who raped a 12-year-old girl in woodland nearly 2 years ago, had his sentencing hearing adjourned just moments before a judge was about to pass sentence.
The 18-year-old, who is set to turn 19 in just a few days, had previously admitted rape of a girl under 13 and failing to comply with a Section 49 notice at a previous court hearing in June.
A pre-sentence report had been compiled ahead of today’s (Tuesday) hearing.
Prosecutor Tim Akers told the court that Fowler and the victim began speaking a few weeks before the incident in Summer of 2024, exchanging messages on popular social media platforms Snapchat and Instagram.
The court heard how Fowler, who cried during proceedings, would compliment the girl, calling her ‘pretty’. The victim described the exchanges as ‘weird’, but said it was ‘nice to be complimented’.
Mr Akers explained to the court that the victim told Fowler she was just 12 years old, to which he said he was 17 – despite actually being 16 at the time.
The pair arranged to meet in Cowes on 19th August 2024, with the victim bringing an older friend with her. Having chatted for a while, Fowler and the victim walked to a wooded area, where he began kissing her.
The court heard how the girl asked Fowler what he wanted to do, to which he replied:
“I think you know what I want to do. I know you wanna do it”.
It was in that wooded area that Fowler raped the girl.
Mr Akers told the court that after returning home, the girl was ‘spammed’ with messages from Fowler, who told her not to tell anyone. The incident came to light just a few days later, with Fowler arrested on his 17th birthday.
Despite being interviewed on several occasions, Fowler initially denied the incident, saying “it wouldn’t be right to have sex with a 12-year-old”. The court heard how he continued to deny the offence even when seminal DNA evidence was presented to him.
Fowler also failed to provide investigating officers with the PIN to his phone.
Defending his client, Oscar Vincent told the court that Fowler had been the target of abuse – both in person and online – following his first court appearance. He also said that his client’s level of maturity meant the gap between Fowler and his victim was closer than their ages suggested.
Judge England, Assistant Judge Advocate General, was well into her sentencing remarks and was about to hand down Fowler’s sentence when he made it clear that he wished to raise something with his solicitor.
The court was subsequently cleared and the matter discussed in chambers – where members of the press and public are not permitted – before the case was adjourned after an “urgent matter arose”.
Fowler was bailed to appear at the same venue on 3rd December 2026, with a psychiatric report to be compiled ahead of that hearing.

















































































