A health chief has warned Islanders to be cautious as COVID infections start to rise once again.
In the last week, patients coming to St Mary’s Hospital in Newport with COVID – or testing positive while at the hospital – has doubled, says the Isle of Wight NHS Trust’s interim chief executive, Darren Cattell.
Speaking at a meeting of the Isle of Wight Council’s health and social care committee on Monday, Mr Cattell said the community infection rate was growing and the Trust is seeing a ‘big’ increase in patients.
Government figures show in the last 7 days, 1,328 people on the Island have tested positive for COVID-19. The rate in those 7 days is 642.3 cases per 100,000 people on the Island, well above the national rate for England at 502.4.
On 10th March, figures suggest 239 cases were logged — 26 of those being possible re-infections. And on 8th March, there were 14 COVID patients in St Mary’s Hospital.
Mr Cattell said the increase could be for all sorts of reasons but in recent weeks, COVID measures have been relaxed across the country as the UK learns to live with COVID. It has meant those who have the virus no longer need to isolate and face masks do not have to be worn anymore.
In just a matter of weeks free testing will be abolished, which should bring down the figures and help the Isle of Wight – and the rest of the country – to live with COVID.
Don’t miss another story! Get the Island’s latest news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up to our daily newsletter here.