FIREFIGHTERS EXTINGUISH RUBBISH FIRE IN RYDE

Published at:

A fire involving rubbish in the back garden of a home in Ryde has been extinguished by firefighters this afternoon (Sunday).

1 appliance was mobilised to Field View in Haylands at around 14:40 when the fire service was alerted to plumes of smoke coming from a garden.

2 hose reels have been used to tackle the flames and dampen down the area.

Article continues below this advertisement

Unfortunately, the fire has damage a fence.

The Isle of Wight Ambulance Service has been called to the scene with 1 crew attending, although it is unclear what injuries have been sustained.

Earlier today, firefighters from Ryde were also called to a lawn mower fire in the area of Haylands.

The Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service is urging people to take extra care during the coronavirus crisis as more people spend time in and around the home. Read more at https://www.islandecho.co.uk/keep-fire-safe-during-coronavirus-crisis-urge-fire-service/.

UPDATE – It has been confirmed that a BBQ became out of control and spread.

Article continues below this advertisement

Thankfully, no one was injured as a result of the fire.

 

The views/opinions expressed in these comments are solely those of the author and do not represent those of Island Echo. House rules on commenting must be followed at all times.
Newest Oldest Most Voted
Knighton
Knighton
Offline

Jeeze, sound more risky being IN your garden than miles away from all arsonists and coughing virus carriers a few feet away separated only be a few strands of wire in your tiny garden when you are in ‘lock down’.

Can’t win

Stay at home
Stay at home
Offline

Just going into my side path to water plants today and wanted to stand in the sun for a few minutes but had to come in coughing from the smell of a BBQ somewhere nearby.
I wish people wouldn’t have them, they are so anti social . Most summers are often ruined by raucous neighbours anyway, with the noise and smells from them, if it’s not burning food on BBQs , it’s the smell of weed, that even comes into my house from the adjoining property.
And you can’t even always get away from unpleasant smells when going out, I’ve had many a walk along the beach spoiled by smoking BBQs and beach fires sending smoke everywhere. -But at least you can get away from them when out, but when you’re at home there is no escape from unpleasant smells.

Mary
Mary
Offline

Unbelievable what ever are they thinking about

kevin thomas
kevin thomas
Offline

My wife just got all the washing on the line and as we sat in the garden all this black smoke started coming over the fence she was fuming that the neighbours started up a bonfire so I got the hose out and pointed it over the fence taking pot luck it would land on the bonfire anyway the next thing I saw was a yellow fireman hat coming down their garden to put out what I thought was a bonfire but it turned out that there lawnmower caught fire what a waste of money calling the fire brigade I could have put it out in 2 minutes I can’t believe some people

Badger
Badger
Offline

Was the mower okay

Eidoj
Eidoj
Offline

How rude!
If you were that much of an expert then you would have offered to help your neighbours instead of moaning about them, it got out of control very quickly.
You would also know that water is ineffective for petrol fires.

kevin thomas
kevin thomas
Offline

The fire brigade put it out with water no problem all over in 5 min

Barf
Barf
Offline

Well said!

Good Neighbors
Good Neighbors
Offline

Mmmm!!! I am no expert and clearly neither are you! That’s why it is best to leave it to the professionals, from what I understand the fire blanket (which is recommended did not work, so after seeking advice from the professionals (fire service) not only did they insist on attending they also said they had done the right thing! A Numpty like you could of just spread it and created more problems! . Wouldn’t be so clever then would you?

The problem with throwing water on any oil fire is that it – in the case of petrol – just distributes the fire without putting it out (it’s the vapour that is burning!)

Edward Andrews
Edward Andrews
Offline

To be honest, the washing stank more than the fire, I think you need to change your fabric softener

scp
scp
Offline

Kevin,

Obviously you are intending to inflame the situation, why mention the washing when you know it was not a deliberate bonfire act but an accident? I understand the Fire Brigade advised it was right to call them, they made no complaint.

Unfortuanatley its know all people like you that stir up trouble, inviting comments without good reason.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_card_stacked"
Football Betting Site Betway
 

News, Traffic & Travel Tweets