Work on the 100-bed hotel was expected to have started back in June. However, problems with surrounding buildings have resulted in a significant delay to the project.
Remedial works to the affected properties will begin later this month and will take until January to complete. It is only once this work has been carried out that the actual hotel construction can begin.
Geoff Cook, Project Manager for Whitbread has this week said:
“I’m pleased to confirm we are expecting to start remedial works to the adjoining property on Monday 29/10/18. This work is expected to take until early January to complete and, all being well we shall then move on to the main construction phase.
“We are currently in the process of putting together some web pages which will be used to keep all interested parties up to date with progress on the project.”
The news that Premier Inn would be coming to Sandown was exclusively revealed by Island Echo back in December 2015 – almost 3 years ago. A planning application was submitted in August 2016 and it was in November 2016 that planning permission was granted.
In April last year rumours started to circulate that Premier Inn had pulled out of the deal, but the nationwide chain reaffirmed their commitment to the town. They said back then that they hoped the hotel would be open by mid-2019.
The former Carlton Hotel was pulled to the ground in in late 2017 but bad news hit in January 2018 when cracks appeared in the road behind the hotel land. In April of this year Premier Inn said construction work would begin ‘within weeks’, but that has once again been pushed back to at least January 2019.
Plans for a Brewers Fayre to be included within the development have been scrapped – instead it will be a ‘Cookhouse & Pub’ chain, as previously reported by Island Echo.
Premier Inn already operate in Newport and Lake.