The news opens up an opportunity for someone else to step into John’s shoes and take over the position at the biggest football club on the Isle of Wight and one of the leading teams in the Sydenhams Wessex League Premier division.
The suitable person will need to be keen, enthusiastic and dedicated as they will be responsible for liaising with the new first team manager Andy Sampson and Reserves manager Stewart Shepherd, along with the Isle of Wight FA and the Hampshire FA.
This position would be ideal for someone wanting to build a reputation with the game and become a responsible and respected figure at this level, as you will become known to many within FA and will no doubt build contacts at many league clubs.
A summary of responsibilities is included below:
May to June:
• Organising pre-season friendlies, approaching individual clubs or liaise with the relevant league secretary. All pre-season friendlies must be submitted to the Hampshire FA.
• Fill out the Hampshire FA, Wessex League and Island League application forms and submit them with payment, making sure that all relevant cups are entered.
• Dealing with all Wessex and Island League registration forms.
July through to May:
• Match confirmation of home games two weeks before each match is played, confirmation sent to the opposing club and match officials. PLEASE NOTE: for all FA Cup and Vase Competitions, a special match confirmation must be done no later than 7 days after the draw for each round has been made.
• Match day – Be on hand to answer any questions. Organise the match officials transport, speak to any press or league officials which attend the match if necessary. In general terms, on match day you are part of the hospitality team.
• After the match, within 5 mins of the final whistle if possible the result has to be sent via SMS to the FA Full Time website. Within 24hrs team subs and goalscorers have to be entered to the FA Full Time website. Duplicate the above for Reserve team matches, but the results get sent to the Island FA instead.
• Respond to any FA emails required.
• Discipline: Every match where red or yellow cards are issued, a statement is received from the Hampshire FA with details, these must be carefully checked as errors could mean losing points and/or receiving a big fine (even if it’s an FA mistake, it’s the Secretary’s duty to spot these mistakes and contact them). All fines must be paid by the club within 2 weeks of issue.
The new Newport IW Football Club Secretary will receive free travel and entry into all matches (home and away) and receive full club hospitality on match days.