Hampshire Constabulary is asking people to avoid the terminal area and confirm that travel to the Island will be disrupted.
It is unclear at this stage what exactly has prompted the emergency response, but Wightlink says it is customer-related.
Island Echo understands that the 03:00 sailing from Portsmouth failed to operate with the last ferry arriving in port – the Victoria of Wight – at just before 02:00.
Those travelling to and from the Island should prepare for significant disruption throughout this morning and potentially for the rest of the day.
UPDATE @ 05:57 – Wightlink is now advising that the Portsmouth-Fishbourne service has been suspended until further notice.
Customers are being asked not to arrive until notified. An update is expected around 06:30.
UPDATE @ 06:20 – Island Echo understands that the incident at Wightlink’s terminal in Portsmouth has now been resolved.
It remains unclear as to the circumstances surrounding the incident, which has caused Islanders and tourists alike several hours of delays.
Wightlink have yet to issue updated guidance for passengers but an update is expected shortly.
UPDATE @ 06:30 – Despite the incident having been ‘resolved’, Wightlink has announced that their service between Fishbourne and Portsmouth is to remain suspended – although no indication has so far been given as to how long.
A Wightlink spokesperson has told Island Echo:
“All customers booked on this route today are likely to be affected.
“We will keep them informed through email this morning.”
UPDATE @ 07:24 – Island Echo understands that police from Portsmouth alongside Hillhead Coastguard Rescue Team were called to Wightlink’s Gunwharf terminal at around 03:00 this morning after an intoxicated passenger made threats to jump overboard shortly before the vessel was due to leave its berth.
The vessel had been ordered to stay in its position by the Harbour Master due to concerns regarding the passenger who is said to have been intoxicated at the time of the incident.
Wightlink says that its Fishbourne to Portsmouth service has now resumed, but passengers are experiencing delays of approximately 1 hour.
UPDATE @ 10:23 – Hampshire Constabulary has confirmed that it was called to a ‘public order incident’ shortly after 03:00 after a group of 6 refused to vacate the Portsmouth terminal.
Police say that 1 male boarded the ferry before refusing to leave, at which point specialist officers were drafted in.
A 31-year-old man from the Isle of Wight has since been arrested on suspicion of aggravated trespass and causing a public nuisance.
UPDATE TUESDAY @ 10:54 – Island Echo has been told that the man who was arrested has been released from custody but remains under investigation.