An Isle of Wight MP has intervened over ongoing disruption caused by temporary traffic lights in Lake, saying the situation has gone on for too long and is causing significant congestion.
Joe Robertson, Member of Parliament for Isle of Wight East, recently met with Island Roads on site at Lake High Street to discuss the delays, which have been affecting motorists since early February.
As previously reported by Island Echo, the temporary 3-way lights were installed after permanent signals were severely damaged in a collision at the end of January. The incident left both above-ground infrastructure and underground cabling requiring specialist repair, forcing the junction to operate under temporary control.
Mr Robertson has this week said that the repair work has been subcontracted, which has contributed to the extended timeframe.
Joe said:
“The temporary traffic lights at Lake have been there too long and are causing congestion so I met with Island Roads on site.
“The work to repair the existing lights which were hit by a vehicle in January is subcontracted and this has caused delays. The repairs should be done in the next 2-3 weeks.
“I am told that Island Roads are now stocking more parts on the Island owing to this experience so there should be fewer of these type of delays in the future”.
He added that there needs to be a wider review of how roadworks and closures are managed locally, describing the current approach as too disruptive.
He added:
“The next IW Council administration needs a comprehensive review and rethink about how road closures are done on the Island. It is far too disruptive.”





















































































It’s been nearly 2 months since the fleeing Numpty
van driver who hit the lights and fled the scene.
Did they ever catch the Numpty!!
How it takes 2 months + to repair a set of traffic lights
is a p*ss take
It makes one wonder who runs the island Mickey Mouse
or Minnie Mouse, because the island is Donald Ducked!
Third world countries are run better!
There needs to be a comprehensive review of why Island drivers seem to be incapable of actually keeping their vehicles on the road instead of driving into highways infrastructure and into verges and ditches. Is it really that difficult for Island drivers to just stick to the road instead of blaming Island Roads for everything that goes wrong?!
Did they ever catch the Numpty who was responsible
for the damage?
He or she should be BANNED for life.
Surely they traced the Numpty by the Vehicle registration
number.
No mention of changing the phasing of the lights to help ease the congestion on the main roads & those used as rat runs! Surely that’s a No-brainer?
Glad they are planning to carry more spares, hopefully they fix it themselves rather than putting in yet another layer of subcontracting in place. That of course requires employees who have the knowhow to implement the repair.
If this happened on the North Island the repairs would have been completed within days not months ..look how long the Hare and Hound lights were out of order ..Easter holidy makers will be over next week it will be chaos !! took me 10 mins on Thursday to get from Broadway centre and through the lights
UNBELIVABLE !!
How and why so long ? it’s pathetic..and the prick who did it ? what happened to him? i take it fuck all should be made to pay for it.but never happens…police are good..not.
The answer’s so simple even island roads could manage it if they pooled all of their brain cells, Get sets of temp lights manufactured that can mimic any junction on the island, hey presto, no hold ups.
These lights are so often ignored by drivers who think that red lights are voluntary, that the council might as well remove them altogether and let everyone just take their chances.