It has been confirmed by the Isle of Wight NHS Trust this morning (Sunday) that patients will, from tomorrow, be allowed to have increased contact with family and loved ones. However, unfavourable restrictions such as masks, social distancing and having to test before entering the hospital will remain.
Patients across all wards – except Intensive Care – will be permitted a daily visitor for 1 hour between 10:00-20:00. The visitor will have to book in advance and must remain 1m away from staff and other patients.
Juliet Pearce, director of nursing, midwifery and allied health professions, said last week that restrictions would be ‘significantly eased’ and that the reduction in restrictions would have a ‘big impact’ on the way families and patients experience care. However, this doesn’t appear to be the case as very little will change from tomorrow (Monday 14th March).
The Isle of Wight NHS Trust says that the following infection prevention and control measures will remain at St Mary’s Hospital and at community-based locations:
- Wearing face masks
- Hand sanitation
- Physical distancing (Visitors must maintain a 1 metre plus physical distance from other patients and staff)
- Lateral flow test (Test is taken within 24 hours prior to visiting)
It’s unclear at this stage if the lateral flow testing requirement will remain going into next month when free tests will become a thing of the past. If the requirement does remain, visitors will affectedly have to pay for entry to the hospital as the Government scraps free testing.
The Trust says visiting restrictions will be ‘regularly reviewed’.
Don’t miss another story! Get the Island’s latest news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up to our daily newsletter here.