Fubar Front

GOODBYE BAR 74, HELLO FUBAR! UNION STREET VENUE TO ‘REDEFINE NIGHTLIFE IN RYDE’

A beloved fixture of Ryde’s Union Street, Bar 74, has announced the next stage of its evolution with the official renaming to ‘FuBar’.

FuBar is set to redefine nightlife in Ryde with its innovative approach to entertainment, offering a vibrant atmosphere and a diverse range of music and events to suit every taste.

The rebranding marks a significant milestone in the establishment’s journey, with owners Dani Johnson and Sully Harriman promising their customers an enhanced experience while retaining the charm and hospitality they’ve come to cherish.

Speaking of the rebrand, Dani has said:

“This has been a long but incredible road, but we’ve managed to avoid the many inevitable potholes so far. It’s been so rewarding creating an inclusive space for the community to perform, meet, gather, engage, and have fun.

“We have the support of some amazing people who have believed in us, and we have each other. Here’s to the rest of the journey…. cheers!”

Sully adds:

“We want to really put this place on the map, continuing from its previous musical history including Lennon and McCartney. Is it time for bed yet?”

The bar has been known by many names over the years including Bar 74, Down Town, Bradley’s and Liquid Lounge.

Fubar Inside

Sloop John B.
Sloop John B.

All the regular drunken alcoholic dwellers in there will be fubar every night making the lives of local people a misery.

Pointless having a name change, you can not make a silk purse from a pigs ear.

fred
fred
Reply to  Sloop John B.

Eh? I live close by, never been an issue.

IoWill
IoWill
Reply to  Sloop John B.

I’ll wager you’ve never been near the place.

Gary Cooper
Gary Cooper
Reply to  Sloop John B.

If I walked into that bar, I would assume that I had mistakenly entered a nursing home. What a load of old toss.

Mrs woo
Mrs woo

And the great Bow bars

Kevin P Cook
Kevin P Cook
Reply to  Mrs woo

With Gerry running it and Nirvana blasting out on juke box. Packed solid Fridays and Saturdays, great times never to be repeated

Stefan C. Attrill
Stefan C. Attrill

I remember when it was the Bow Bars. You could guarantee a bish-bosh-bash outside, followed by a gentleman’s handshake. I’m not endorsing violence, but back then, things had their place, and things always got ‘sorted’.

Incidentally, does the Yelfs Tap Bar still exist? It was one of the first Island pubs to install a video jukebox. Walking down those damp steep steps was terrible enough and treacherous if you climbed back up while pissed.

I used to piss off the locals who frequented by playing ‘Gentlemen Take Polaroids’ by JAPAN on repeat loop.

Such happy times back then.

Kevin Pidwell
Kevin Pidwell
Reply to  Stefan C. Attrill

Yes I remember the good old days when Ryde was alive. Bow Bars often had to replenish the tables and chairs and as you said, it all ended well. Ryde was a hoot from Brook House to the Redan. But this is another story. I don’t think I’d set foot in this Fooo Bar. How do you fit people in? It’s more cluttered than my living room…

Henry Higgins
Henry Higgins

Interesting new name, do they not want to succeed or are they tempting fate?

James Pearson
James Pearson

Let’s hope they can clean the toilets, disgusting place.

IoWill