This year’s festival promotes the richness and diversity of the Isle of Wight’s communities with events to interest all Islanders.
A programme listing all the activities is available at Libraries, the Age UK IW Office in Newport and some Co-Operative stores. However, some of the events are highlighted below so that plans can be made in advance of October.
• Tea on the Sea (£5 advanced bookings with Red Funnel Ferries). Departing from East Cowes Ferry Terminal at 2.30pm until 5pm. Book: Red Funnel ticket office 0238 001 9192 (foot passengers only).
Join in with afternoon tea, a bit of history and games. (This is a round-trip with no disembarking at Southampton)
• Wild About Wight Safari – FREE but bring money for refreshments (Bookings required). Based at Isle of Wight Zoo. From 10.30am to 2.30pm. Book by 8th September contact [email protected]/01983 525985.
Discover prehistoric landscapes, seascapes,nature, historic forts, military secrets and famous golfers in ‘The Bay’ area.
• Creative Café – FREE. Newport Methodist Church Hall. 10:00-14:00. Contact: Independent Arts on 01983 822437.
All materials provided includes a quiz, a mosaic workshop and a fellowship lunch.
• Tea Dance – FREE but bookings required as places limited. At Byrnhill Grove, Park Ave, Ventnor, 2.30pm – 4.30pm Book: Elaine 07788420470 / [email protected] (Southern Housing Group)
• Coffee Morning – FREE at Learning Links, Newport, 10:00 – 12noon. Contact: Louise or Pat 01983 527529.
Find out about Employment Support for the Over 50s including self-employment with support from the Chamber of Commerce.
• Coffee Afternoon – FREE at Bembridge Village Hall, 14:00-16:00 Contact: Emma Goldring 01983 874160 [email protected]
Coffee afternoon offered by Bembridge Parish Council.
• SingAbout Together. FREE at The Methodist Church, Quay Street, Newport at 14:00-16:00. Contact: Independent Arts on 01983 822437.
Join the SingAbout family for an afternoon of sing-along favourites.
• Time and Tide Visual Arts Tasters – FREE at Riverside Centre, Newport, 11:00-12 noon.
Independent Arts is offering screen-printing, pastels, painting and felting with local artist Leigh Jackman. Materials provided.
• Community Eng-Agement Day – FREE at Riverside Centre, Newport. 11:00-14:00 Contact: Lisa Toyne [email protected]
Interactive workshops, stands, creative activities and well-being area. Advice for the over 50’s considering returning to work, starting a business or volunteering.
• Time and Tide Visual Arts Tasters – FREE at Sandown Library at 10:30-12:30 Contact: Independent Arts 822437 [email protected]
Screen-printing, pastels, painting and felting with Leigh Jackman.
• Chair Yoga – FREE but bookings required. At Yinspire Yoga, 2 New Road, Brading 11:30-12:30 Book: 01983 333888 09:00-15:00 weekdays [email protected]
Chair Yoga for people with mobility worries.
• DanceMakers Collective – FREE at Methodist Church Hall, Quay Street, 14:00-16:00. Contact: Independent Arts 822437 [email protected]
A gentle creative dance programme featuring performance by Samphire Dance Company.
• Heritage Health Walk – FREE from Ryde Library Time: 10:30-13:00.
A 3 mile walk exploring Ryde’s history.
• Heritage Display – FREE at Lord Louis Library, Newport. 10:00-12noon.
Heritage Display with refreshments available thanks to the Friends of Lord Louis Library.
In addition to the above the Island’s Libraries have special events including drop-in sessions organised by the Island’s Volunteer Centre (CAIW), some supermarkets are piloting a slow lane for customers seeking their views on the ‘slow till’ idea and the County Record Office is offering drop-in sessions.
Open Afternoons are planned by ‘Men In Sheds’ and The Oddfellows and there will be a drop-in for maintenance of NHS hearing aids at Orchard Care Centre, Newport as well as a Carers IW event at The Riverside.
Report by Alan and Suzanne Whitewood