2 hospital security officers have been dismissed, and a Police investigation is ongoing, after a man visiting St Mary’s Hospital was assaulted and tasered.
The shocking incident occurred earlier this year, on 27th April, when a 59-year-old man from Sandown, who was visiting the hospital in Newport, was assaulted within one of the site’s car parks.
It was alleged that the victim was physically assaulted by 2 members of the security team, one of whom is alleged to have used an illegal taser to subdue him.
Following a period of enquiries, Police arrested a 55-year-old man from Freshwater on suspicion of assault by beating and possession of an electrical incapacitation device.
A spokesperson for Hampshire & Isle of Wight Constabulary has told Island Echo:
“We received a third-party report at 15:11 on Saturday 1st May that sometime on Monday 27th April a 59-year-old man from Sandown had been assaulted at an address on Parkhurst Road, Newport.”
It has been confirmed that a community resolution order in relation to the assault offence has since been issued and that the man has been released under investigation in relation to the electrical incapacitation device, which police have seized.
Under the Firearms Act 1968, tasers and stun guns are treated as prohibited firearms, and it is a serious criminal offence for any member of the public, including security guards, to possess, purchase, acquire, manufacture or sell a taser within the UK.
As stated in the law, only specially trained police officers have permission to carry such a weapon. It also states that people in general security roles can only use reasonable force or proportionate physical force in self-defence, to prevent a crime or to detain an individual during a citizen’s arrest until the police arrive.
APCOA Parking provides integrated security and parking management services for a number of healthcare facilities and hospitals across the country, including St Mary’s Hospital.
In light of the criminal investigation, Island Echo contacted APCOA, who handle the hiring of their security officers without the involvement of the NHS Trust.
A spokesperson for the company has this week said:
“Following a reported incident which involved two of our staff members only, a disciplinary hearing took place and both individuals were dismissed.
“An ongoing police investigation prevents us from making further comment at this stage”.























































































