There is travel disruption for those heading in and out of Sandown today (Monday) due to the closure of Avenue Road and the suitable diversion route to Yaverland.
Island Roads are carrying out ’emergency’ work to address recent flooding issues by the iron bridge. Although the PFI contractor says the works are an emergency, they have been ongoing for some time under 2-way temporary traffic lights.
At the same time, SGN has closed Marshcombe Shute from Yarbridge to Yaverland due to ongoing emergency gas works at Yarbridge Cross.
It means for motorists heading in and out of Sandown, the only alternative route is via Perowne Way. This is causing significant delays in the Morton Common and Lake Hill areas. Those travelling through the area could consider diverting via Newchurch and The Downs instead.
Island Roads say it hopes to re-open Avenue Road tomorrow afternoon (Tuesday).
It is unknown when Marshcombe Shute will re-open, although SGN previously said they hope to have all works completed by tomorrow.
UPDATE TUESDAY – The road closure at Avenue Road has now been lifted, Island Roads has confirmed.
Emergency works at Yarbridge have also been completed by SGN, with the crossroads junction now fully open with the main traffic lights operational.





















































































Piss up and brewery spring to mind.
plus bridge closure in Alverstone
Having sat like most in the inevitable queue at the bottom of The Avenue, why oh why have the lights under the bridge been left on????
Come on whomever organises this? Get your flipping act together, as you squeeze through the temporary set to sit at the permanent set. This leaves the obvious tailback and then blocks the temporary lights! Anyone with at least 1 eye can see the potential for problems so why cause them deliberately like this???
Unnecessarily causing chaos but IR not even bothering to come up with an excuse.
Unnecessarily causing chaos but IR not even bothering to come out and work.
Can somebody please explain why this is allowed. Somebody in authority should be saying that the Avenue Road works can be delayed because no rain is forecast for approximately a week. The traffic could then flow until gas works at Yarbridge are completed and Avenue Road works could start again. There should be better dynamic risk assessments that allow the island’s roads to flow as best possible and in my opinion emergency works should mean 24/7 working, not long periods of inactivity. It would be good to have a sensible answer as to why both sets of work are allowed at the same time.
Basically it’s not allowed but since they regulate themselves they can do what they want.
The only way to do it is fine them per day for over-running. And I bet the over-running suddenly decreases. Queen’s Road Ryde clear example of disruption which shouldn’t be allowed to continue.
But unfortunately we have a very poor council.
This is how it SHOULD work……….over here, the planning and forward thinking is non existent. They care not for us road users.
They are all incompetent in my opinion.
Working at Island Roads must be a likened to being blindfolded and throwing darts at a map of the island to plan their next diversion. The roadwork planning makes no sense. I live off Perowne Way and it’s an accident waiting to happen, trying to dodge parked cars and kamikaze drivers who force drivers onto the kerbs and verges.
Put simply they don’t CARE!!!!