This is your weekly round-up of some of the latest court cases heard at the Isle of Wight Magistrates Court.
The defendant’s name, age, address and details of the charge(s) and sentence are published in accordance with Criminal Procedure Rule 5.8, as agreed by HMCTS and the Society of Editors and approved by the Lord Chancellor. Not all cases heard will appear on this round-up due to legal restrictions.
This article is published from official information issued by HM Courts and Tribunal Service and is covered by qualified privilege. Please note: names/details of convictions will not be removed from this article on the basis of the convicted individual or their families requesting such action.
Monday 13th June – Friday 17th June 2022
• Claire Sprengel, 43, of Scarrots Lane in Newport, changed her plea to guilty for driving whilst unfit through drugs. She was handed a 6-month community order with 15 rehabilitation days, banned from driving for 14 months and fined £100. She was also ordered to pay £300 costs and a £95 surcharge.
• Michelle Adams, 47, of Great Preston Road in Ryde, was found guilty of 2 counts of assault by beating of an emergency worker. Adams was handed a 16-week prison sentence, suspended for 12 months, with 15 rehabilitation days. She was ordered to pay £75 compensation and £620 costs.
• Carly Rooke, 40, of Clatterford Road in Newport, pleaded guilty to driving whilst disqualified and driving without insurance. She was banned from driving for 12 months and made subject to a 12-month community order with 10 rehabilitation days attached. She was also fined £281 and ordered to pay £85 costs.
• Rajinder Jumar, 40, of Fort Mews in Sandown pleaded guilty to driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence and driving without insurance. He was given 8 penalty points, fined £461 and ordered to pay £85 costs with a £46 surcharge.
• Ross Minter, 44, of Whitecombe Road in Carisbrooke, pleaded guilty to theft from a shop. He was given a 12-month conditional discharge and ordered to pay £19.95 compensation.
• Damon Wilkins, 23, of Old Road in East Cowes, pleaded guilty to burglary other than dwelling – theft. He was fined £80, ordered to pay £543 compensation and costs of £85 with a £34 surcharge.
• Paul Bennett, 50, of Fairmount Drive in Newport, pleaded guilty to obstructing/resisting a constable in the execution of their duty (5 officers). He was fined £80 and ordered to pay £85 costs with a £34 surcharge.
• Rhys Miller, 23, of Prince Street in Ryde, pleaded guilty to criminal damage. He was handed a 6-month conditional discharge and ordered to pay £85 costs with a £22 surcharge.
• Ian Willett, 23, of no fixed above but now of HMP Winchester, pleaded guy to failing to comply with the notification requirements of the sex offenders register. He was handed a 8-month prison sentence and ordered to pay £85 costs with a £128 surcharge. He was also recalled to prison for breaching his licence. Magistrates said that Willett has a flagrant disregard for court orders, the offence was committed so soon after release on licence, was deliberate and within a month of signing the register.
Don’t miss another story! Get the Island’s latest news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up to our daily newsletter here.