Latest News

DISCARDED CIGARETTE BEHIND UNION ROAD FIRE

unionroadgasfracturefire_002A discarded cigarette that was not properly stubbed out caused a mattress to catch fire and spread to the roof of a building at the centre of a blaze in Ryde yesterday (Sunday), Island Echo understands.

As previously reported, the Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service were called to Union Road in Ryde at around 01:00 on Sunday morning after a fire broke out next to a block of flats and Queen Victoria’s former coaching house, now the home to The New Carnival Company. 4 appliances from Ryde, Newport, Sandown and East Cowes were sent to the scene and tackled the blaze, saving the building from destruction.

imageA Southern Gas Networks spokesperson has this afternoon confirmed that a fractured gas main was not the cause of the fire, however that a gas service pipe melted after the fire took hold and several gas meters were destroyed. The gas flare caused sent flames into the air which then set fire to the roof of the building.

Article continues below this advertisment

Island Echo understands a cigarette was carelessly discarded by a local resident, causing a mattress dumped around the back of the building to catch fire.

unionroadgasfracturefire_011Although Bate Brand Communications and Consultant Marine Engineers have suffered damage to their offices and have had to relocate temporarily, The New Carnival company have been unaffected by the blaze.

The Mardi Gras parade planned for this coming Saturday is still due to go ahead as planned after all costumes and related props were saved thanks to the efforts of firefighters.

The area surrounding the building was cordoned off by Police, however investigators have ruled out any foul play. The incident is being treated as an accident.

Comment on this story

News, Traffic & Travel Tweets

/* ]]> */