Img 3034

UPDATED: CRASH AT NOKE COMMON CLOSES ROAD ON ICY MORNING

Img 3032A crash at Noke Common has resulted in the closure of the road as emergency services deal with the incident this morning (Tuesday).

Police, fire and ambulance crews are currently on scene between Horsebridge Hill and Mark’s Corner.

The Isle of Wight Ambulance Service has 2 ambulances and an officer in attendance, with 2 fire appliances mobilised from Hampshire & Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service.

The crash, which is understood to have occurred near the rear entrance to Parkhurst Forest, happened shortly after 07:00.

Drivers are facing fog and ice this morning, making for hazardous driving conditions.

A yellow weather warning for fog remains in force until 10:00.

UPDATE @ 08:51 – Emergency services have now stood down from the incident, in which a Renault Twingo car slid off the road and into a ditch.

The sharp bend has now been gritted to prevent a similar incident from occurring again. The road has re-opened.

No other vehicles were involved and the male driver has escaped with nothing more than bruises.

isle of wighter
isle of wighter
4 months ago

Fog and ice have been a factor in driving conditions at this time of year on the island before cars were even invented. So nothing has changed in that respect. What has changed is the standard of driving, the quality of the drivers ability to read the road and the standard care applied by the owners of the cars to the upkeep of their cars.

most crashes could be avoided, if the drivers of the cars were better at the job.

it is no coincidence that there are more crashes reported since mobile phones became an extension of peoples hands. No one even looks where they are going when walking, whilst glued to their phones.

Brian Potter
Brian Potter
Reply to  isle of wighter

Yes and No.

Your hypothesis does not take into consideration that the number of cars on the road now is also greater. I would imagine that the relatively speaking the number of crashers per 100 cars on the road is similar now compared to the times you speak of.

jan
jan
4 months ago

Noke Common should have been gritted overnight and not wait till an accident had already occured. Hope the driver is ok !

Letting you know
Letting you know
4 months ago

I feel sorry for the visitors this summer that have to drive amongst island drivers, I’ve never known we had so many idiots….God help them..

fred
fred
4 months ago

Simple rule has kept me safe on the road for 50 years. If I see frost on the screens of parked cars or on the grass verge I drive slower. I have hit ice before, many times, but as I was driving slower I never ended up off the road. Maybe a new pair of underpants but that’s all.

simple
simple
4 months ago

Nice to see he steered into the skid… NOT… and if was a slide, why could driver not pump the brakes quickly..?? Oh yes I know, another brilliant driver that does not haver a clue !

Gsindyr
Gsindyr
Reply to  simple
4 months ago

Erm, probably because there isn’t any point steering into a skid on black ice, and abs does the cadence braking for you!

Letting you know
Letting you know
Reply to  simple
4 months ago

Simply simple is a very good name for you, honesty is always the best thing…

Gruntfuttock
Gruntfuttock
4 months ago

If you can please watch Monday night’s BBC Panorama programme on IPlayer.
Amongst other things the major contributory factor to a considerable decline in driving standards was found to be the diminution of Police Road Unots across the whole country.
We haven’t had a dedicated Roads Police Unit since 2015. Another gift from PM Teresa May aka The Constipated Flamingo.

D. Routledge
D. Routledge
Reply to  Gruntfuttock
4 months ago

Stop giving bad drivers excuses for their stupid, irresponsible driving. Now it’s “not my fault I ended up in the trees because there wasn’t a policeman there to tell me to slow down” I suppose that’s marginally better than saying it’s the roads fault.

Community Spirit
Community Spirit
Reply to  Gruntfuttock
4 months ago

Yes, Gruntfuttock, I watched Panorama on Monday – a very unsatisfactory report, I’m afraid. It tried to blame both the ‘dangerous roads’ and the reduced presence of traffic police.
1 – the roads are not dangerous, it’s the idiots who won’t use them sensibly, and
2 – whether there are no police or many does not excuse anyone’s bad driving behaviour. So,
3 – simply drive with care, allowing for the road conditions, as in the Highway Code.

Diggerman
Diggerman
4 months ago

Another accident people have lost the ability to drive they don’t take of rd signs if it Says rd closed then it is not I will just nip through won’t be a problem you are breaking the law you will get fined your car is not insurance and you will be blacklisted from getting insurance but they still do it the signs are there for a reason read them