Medway, 62, admitted the sickening rape of the toddler when he appeared before the court in October last year. He has now been sentenced to 14 years in prison for his horrendous crime by Judge Roger Hetherington. However, he will serve just 9 years behind bars and a further 5 years out on licence.
The paedophile builder, who was well known in the local area of Edinbrugh Close, carried out the opportunistic attack in woodland at Fort Victoria Country Park on 31st August – Bank Holiday Monday.
The victim had run off from her parents whilst enjoying a day out at the West Wight beauty spot. The toddler was then spotted by members of the public with Medway and was reunited with her family within just 8 minutes of going missing – but sadly the attack had already taken place. The girl, who had wet herself in the ordeal, spoke out about what had happened.
Monster Medway, who has been described as being a significant risk to the public, was arrested the same day but denied the allegation against him. DNA evidence on his underwear later proved otherwise. The 62-year-old eventually pleaded guilty in court, as previously reported by Island Echo.
The incident shook the community last year when details of the attack emerged, especially so as stranger rapes are incredibly rare on the Island. It’s been confirmed that the innocent victim did not know Medway.
Detective Chief Inspector Liam Davies, who led the investigation, has said:
“I am so pleased that we have been able to secure justice for the young girl and her family in this case.
“I want to formally thank them for their brave support as well as the public for their overwhelming response to our appeals. Both have been pivotal in achieving a successful conviction.
“It is also important to recognise the efforts of staff across the Constabulary who worked around the clock away from their families to ensure we were able to get this dangerous man off our streets”.
Superintendent Sarah Jackson, District Commander for the Isle of Wight, said:
“The officers involved in this awful case worked tirelessly to bring the investigation to the point we have reached today.
“Stranger assaults of this nature against children are extremely rare, and I hope the community feels reassured that when we receive these sorts of allegations, we will take them seriously and we will do everything in our power to bring those responsible to justice.
“We work very hard on the Isle of Wight to tackle sexual offences in partnership with organisations that support survivors. We want you to have the confidence to come forward and talk to us if something has happened to you, or somebody you know.”
Speaking about Medway’s crimes, an NSPCC spokesperson has said:
“This is a deeply disturbing case, in which a very young girl was subjected to a brutal and terrifying ordeal. Medway’s abuse will have had a profound effect on this child and her family, and it is vital they are provided with the full support they need to recover and move on from this.
“If you suspect a child has been assaulted, you can speak in confidence to NSPCC professionals on our helpline seven days a week on 0808 800 5000, or email [email protected]. If someone is in immediate danger always call 999.”
Sentencing guidelines for the rape of a child under 13 range from 6 to 19 years in custody with a maximum term of life imprisonment.We're working on bringing you all the latest updates on this breaking news story. Please refresh this page or check back later for updates.
Do you have information, photos or video relating to this incident? Email [email protected]