20211201 Merstone Bus Crash 07

VIDEO: 13 CASUALTIES TREATED AS BUS CRASHES OFF ROAD INTO FIELD

20211201 180924A total of 13 people have been assisted by emergency crews after a Southern Vectis double decker bus careered off the road and into a field at Arreton earlier this evening (Wednesday).

As first reported by Island Echo, a large number of fire crews, paramedics and other emergency services, including HM Coastguard, responded to the main Sandown to Newport road at the junction of East Lane at just gone 18:00.

It has been confirmed that firefighters have used cutting equipment to release 2 passengers, with a high level tower platform utilised to extricate the casualties from the top deck. The 2 seriously injured individuals have since been handed into the care of the Isle of Wight Ambulance Service for onward conveyance to St Mary’s Hospital.

Article continues below this advertisement

In total, 13 casualties have been assisted and tended to at the scene.

An eyewitness has told Island Echo that the bus failed to turn and ‘launched into the air’. They state that injuries include a broken leg and head injuries.

At the height of the incident no less than 7 ambulances, 2 patient transport ambulances and several fire appliances from Newport, Ryde, Cowes, Shanklin and East Cowes were all on scene, alongside senior officers and tactical commanders.

20211201 Merstone Bus Crash 01

Station Manager Peter Clarke of HIWFRS has tonight said:

Article continues below this advertisement

“We were working in difficult conditions, with poor light, but worked well together as a team with our multi-agency partners.

“The initial response by the first attending crews was really effective and laid the solid foundation for the resolution of this incident.”

Richard Tyldsley, Southern Vectis’ general manager, has said in a statement:

“I can confirm one of our vehicles was involved in an incident today, when the bus left the road near Merstone.

Article continues below this advertisement

“Latest reports suggest injuries to some of those on board. We wish them a full and speedy recovery, and we will be monitoring their progress closely.

“The safety of our passengers and drivers is our highest priority, and our team is carrying out an immediate investigation to establish the cause of this incident.”

UPDATE @ 22:20 – Emergency services have stood down from the incident and the road has now re-opened following the successful recovery of the bus.

More information is expected tomorrow (Thursday).

262959890 1051530858748570 8190557703255263403 N
Photo: East Cowes Fire Station

Don’t miss another story! Get the Island’s latest news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up to our daily newsletter here.

The views/opinions expressed in these comments are solely those of the author and do not represent those of Island Echo. House rules on commenting must be followed at all times.
3 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
What the...
What the...
1 month ago

Our emergency services are awesome.

Sue
Sue
1 month ago

Omg, hope everyone is safe now? X

Paul Pelosi
Paul Pelosi
1 month ago

Quick thinking by the driver. He missed the Merston Road turnoff and, realising he was going too fast to make the sharp left hander that comes up almost immediately and is slightly downhill, took a straight line off the corner down the dirt track into the field. Luckily there was nothing coming the other way but, mistake having been made, a commendable quick-thinking decision.

 

Join our daily newsletter

News, Traffic & Travel Tweets