Vics came into the game in buoyant mood bolstered by last Saturday’s impressive 3-4 away victory at Ash United

Unfortunately, the East Cowes side were unable to take the momentum of their win onto home turf at Beatrice Avenue.

Wessex League 1: East Cowes Vics 0-2 Laverstock & Ford

The first chance of the game fell to defender-turned-forward Ryan Gregory in the 15th minute, who intercepted an inaccurate pass from the Bulldogs’ keeper, Alexis Aguer, but saw his attempt trickle past the left post. 5 minutes later, Laverstock winger Russell Jones came close to scoring for the away side when his curling lob hit the Vics woodwork.

Article continues below this advertisement

The Bulldogs took the lead in the 35th minute when an Archie Lovegrove free kick was parried by Vics keeper Alex Ram for Jim Ward to knock the rebound into the net from 5 yards (0-1). 3 minutes later, Laverstock nearly scored a second when Russell Jones had his close-range shot parried by Ram in a prone position.

HT: East Cowes Vics 0-1 Laverstock & Ford

The second half saw both sides squandering chances. In the 54th minute, Aiden White was forced to clear a strike from Laverstock’s Jones off the Vics goal line. A minute later, Jimmi Burton sent an attempted bicycle kick over the Laverstock crossbar. Then, in the 58th minute, Harry Catania headed a Jamie Wright free kick just wide.

Article continues below this advertisement

Richie Woodburn made a couple of substitutions, bringing on the experienced Liam Newbold for the injured Ollie West, and young Kade Woodford for Aiden White. In the 75th minute, Catania headed just over the crossbar from a corner. Then, a minute later, Catania sent over a cross from the right that Jimmi Burton failed to convert. In the 78th minute, Toby Snow shot just past the left post after weaving his way through the penalty area.

Vics’ attempts to equalize left them exposed at the back and vulnerable to a quick break by the Bulldogs. In the 84th minute, full back Pete Fletcher took full advantage of the open space in the Vics half to bury the ball in the top right corner of the Vics goal (0-2). Laverstock could have taken a 3-goal lead a minute later but for Liam Newbold heading the ball off the Vics goal line.

The final chance of the game came in injury time when Jimmi Burton failed to get a consolation goal for the home side after his shot went just past the left post.

FT: East Cowes Vics 0-2 Laverstock & Ford

Article continues below this advertisement

Vics: Ram, Wright, Snow, West (c), Turner, Jones, Catania, Hayward, Burton, Gregory, White Subs: Yates, Newbold, Woodford, Marsek. Berry

After the game, Vics manager, Richie Woodburn, said:

“I’m frustrated. It was 3 points lost. We created twice as many chances as the other team.”

Vics’ defeat leaves them in 15th position in Wessex League 1 with 9 points from 10 games. Next Saturday, the East Cowes side travel to Whitchurch United, who are 1 place above them in the league table.

Wessex League 1: New Milton 4-4 Newport IoW

Newport travelled to New Milton in buoyant mood ready to bounce back from their away defat at Millbrook a fortnight ago.

The Port’s opening 15 minutes were what football dreams are made of: confident play, chances a-plenty and a goal courtesy of the on-fire Joe Craig on 3 minutes. 

New Milton’s keeper and some nifty defending kept them from conceding even further in this opening period, with the returning Jake Wright, Jordan Browne and Joe Craig again causing trouble. At the other end, Gary Streeter was keeping New Milton at bay in his first game back from injury. 

New Milton were threatening however, and 15 minutes in, they found themselves equalising when Newport really should have been three up. With players missing in defence, the Port suddenly found themselves exposed, and New Milton continued to press for the remainder of the half, snatching a well taken second on 27 minutes and a (slightly dubious) penalty just before half time. In between, Jordan Browne had a great chance to make it 2-2, his effort just off target when a goal was there for the taking.

HT: New Milton 3-1 Newport IoW

Despite being a little despondent as the second half got underway, the Port support continued to feel encouraged as the Islanders pushed forward. 

On 53 minutes, a powerful cross from Connor Kelly was met by Joe Craig, and it was suddenly feeling as if the Port could get something out of this game. That was until New Milton were awarded their second penalty, this time an unnecessary foul which they took advantage of, securing a 2-goal advantage.

A comedy of bizarreness then ensued, with Gary being sin binned and Aaron Burford pulling off the save of the game in his absence. While down to ten men, the Port saw an equaliser smashed home from newbie Paul Agbeseyi, just as New Milton thought they were cruising comfortably towards a win. 

No one had a clue how many minutes had been played or how many were being added, but the Port battled on regardless. Then, just as it appeared they were going home empty handed, stand in captain Jordan Browne grabbed the sweetest of equalisers at the death.

FT: New Milton 4-4 Newport IoW

Newport: Streeter, Hughes, Lamb, Agbeseyi, Barron, Triggs, Kelly, Wright, Browne, Craig, Butcher Subs: Burford, McCormack, McArthur, Reynolds, Younie

The Port’s win leaves them in 2nd position in Wessex League 1 with 22 points from 10 games, 3 points behind leaders Bemerton. Next Saturday, Newport face Millbrook at Smallbrook.

Report compiled with kind assistance of Jenny Holmes. Photos by Dave Bodymore.

Wessex Premier: Christchurch 0-1 Cowes Sports

The Yachtsmen bounced back from their 7-1 defeat at Baffins Milton Rovers, with a narrow 0-1 win against 2nd-from-bottom Christchurch. Cowes Sports were missing several1st team players, including John McKie, Jez Conway, Jimmy Wykes, Fin Phillips and Connor White.

In a game of few chances, the game was won through a fortunate penalty decision after Darren Williams had been upended in the Christchurch penalty area. Scott McFarlane coolly converted the resulting penalty.

Cowes Sports: Hatt, Coshell, Mumford, Ricketts, Chase, McFarlane, Williams, Coode, Furmidge, Nash. Holmes Subs: Ashley, Jackson, Camara, Ince, Denness

After the game, a spokesperson for Cowes Sports said:

“The lads worked their absolute nuts off today. Considering we were in a position where we had 20 players unavailable through injury and Covid, it shows what a good place the club is in. The lads from the reserves who stepped up looked right at home!”

The Yachtsmen are now in 7th position in the Wessex Premier table with 17 points from 11 games. Next Saturday, Cowes host 4th-placed Bashley at Westwood Park.

Correction: In Saturday’s football preview, it was stated that Ryan Hughes scored for Gosport Borough. The actual scorer was Jake Wright. 

Don’t miss another story! Get the Island’s latest news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up to our daily newsletter here.

The views/opinions expressed in these comments are solely those of the author and do not represent those of Island Echo. House rules on commenting must be followed at all times.

Join our daily newsletter

News, Traffic & Travel Tweets