Photos: Graham Brown


Published at:

Cowes Sports FC remained becalmed in second-from-bottom position in the Wessex Premier after failing to win for the 14th game in succession.

The Island side made just 1 change to the starting line that had lost 3-2 at Fareham Town a fortnight ago with Conor White replacing Mitchell Ricketts.

The Yachtsmen struck first in the 9th minute, when a long clearance from Conor White evaded the visitors defenders, leaving Ji Nash and their keeper, Tom Rees, in a chase to the ball which the Cowes forward won, to touch the ball past the keeper from 25 yards on a sharp angle. (1-0) A minute later, Morgan Perrin did well to clear the ball off his own goal line to deny an immediate response.

Article continues below this advertisement

Hamworthy then had a player sin binned for ten minutes for dissent. Cowes nearly took advantage as a Fin Phillips free kick picked out Jared Wetherick in the box, but his first attempt was blocked by a defender before a second shot was kept out by a combination of defender and keeper.

In the 24th minute, a ball through the middle saw Gareth Bricknell racing towards goal only to be pulled back by left back Declan Randall. Referee, Adrian Knight, awarded Cowes a penalty and
showed the left back a red card, but then changed his mind and issued a yellow. Ewan Cranwell stepped up to take the spot kick only to see his effort saved by Tom Rees.

On 35 minutes, Hamworthy’s Tom Copper became the second player to be sin binned for dissent. A minute before the break, Ji Nash was put through with only the keeper to beat but blasted the ball over the crossbar.

In the 47th minute, a quick break from the Hammers saw Connor Cocklin blast the ball into the top of the Cowes net to equalise against the run of play.

Article continues below this advertisement

HT: Cowes Sports 2-3 Hamworthy United

Two early decisions in the second half saw both Connor Cocklin and Declan Randall commit fouls worthy of a yellow card, but both were spoken to instead as the indecisive official bottled giving the red cards that were deserved.

Manager, Max Draper, threw on his substitutes, with Ji Nash and Michael McEnery replaced by Aedan Coode and Scott McFarlane.

Neither side created much until the 80th minute, when Hamworthy broke down the Cowes right before the ball was crossed to the unmarked Louis Coulson, who side-footed the ball into the left corner of the Cowes goal to give his side the lead. (1-2)

A minute from time, a free kick by Ed Hatt found Jared Wetherick inside the Hamworthypenalty area, only for the burly striker to be fouled and a second penalty awarded to the home side.

This time, Ewan Cranwell made no mistake from the spot to level the scores. (2-2)

2 minutes into added time, Eddie Hodge was sent racing towards goal, where he slotted the ball past Ed Hatt in the Cowes goal to score an undeserved winner for the visitors. (2-3).

The final action of the game saw Louis Coulson sent off for Hamworthy United for foul language.

FT: Cowes Sports 2-3 Hamworthy United

Cowes Sports: Edward Hatt, Conor White, James Wykes, Ashley Brett (c), Morgan Perrin, Ewan Cranwell, Finley Phillips, Gareth Bricknell, Jared Wetherick, Ji Nash (Aeden Coode), Michael
McEnery (Scott McFarlane). Subs not used: Tom Dye, Mitchell Ricketts, Fraser Law


The views/opinions expressed in these comments are solely those of the author and do not represent those of Island Echo. House rules on commenting must be followed at all times.
Football Betting Site Betway

News, Traffic & Travel Tweets