Police have said that a teenager who was hit by a car near Shanklin last week is likely to make a full recovery and have stressed that the driver was not at fault.
As first reported by Island Echo, emergency services were called to Sandown Road between Lake and Shanklin last Thursday (25th June) when a 16-year-old boy was hit by a car. The teenager was later transferred to the Paediatric Intensive Care Unit in Southampton.
The youngster was allowed home earlier this week and is now recuperating with support from his family.
In an update issued today, Hampshire Constabulary has said that the driver of the VW Polo involved was not at fault for the incident. The injured boy stepped out whilst distracted by his headphones and mobile phone. The driver was keeping to the speed limits which prevented a much more severe outcome.
The Roads Policing investigation team are taking this opportunity to highlight some key facts:
• You are more likely to kill or seriously injure someone if you exceed the speed limits and involved in a crash
• Pedestrians are equally responsible for following the highway code
Inspector Matt from Isle of Wight Police says:
“We desperately do not want to be dealing with serious injury matters like this which can be so avoidable and want all drivers and road users to be safe and considerate on our roads.[Also] a plea to all teenagers to not use mobiles or headphones if crossing the road.
“The investigation team would like to take this opportunity to thank the driver and witnesses who stopped to assist with immediate first aid in this incident”.