A 15-year-old girl helped to save a intoxicated man from the sea at Sandown last night (Saturday).
Whilst thousands of people were enjoying the annual fireworks display, one man took it upon himself to enter the bitterly cold water in a state of undress.
Concerns started to grow for the man’s safety given his drunken state.
Hayley-Louise Andrews has this morning described the incident to Island Echo:
“Everyone was just standing around, staring, some even laughing. So I took things into my own hands and ran in after him.
“When I got to him he was face down in the water. The crowd were just watching me struggle. When I lifted him out of the water he was choking so I whacked his back and he started breathing normally again. Only then did 3 men and 2 lady’s come in and help me”.
Did you know… around 190 people lose their lives at the UK and Irish coasts each year, and over half never even planned to enter the water.
One of the biggest risks is cold water shock. This is triggered in water temperatures lower than 15⁰C – it can steal the air from your lungs and leave you helpless in seconds.
Both the man and the 15-year-old Hayley-Louise were monitored by on site first aiders but were eventually given the all clear.
Do you follow Island Echo on Facebook?
Get access to exclusive news, photos, videos and merchandise by becoming a supporter through Facebook Subscriptions! Find out more at https://www.facebook.com/becomesupporter/309220432954/