The lockdown period has provided a window of opportunity for Island Roads and its contractors to schedule carriageway excavation works at Hope Hill, Shanklin in late November.
The works follow some temporary repairs that were made in the early summer after a weakening was identified in the carriageway at Hope Hill, thought to be as a result of water below the carriageway surface.
Initial investigations had been kept to a minimum during the busy summer period to avoid access problems for residents and businesses in the area and short-term repairs were made so that the road could be reopened safely.
With fewer cars on the roads due to the national lockdown restrictions, Island Roads and its contractors are now returning to the site to carry out more detailed and deeper excavations in order to identify a more permanent solution.
The works will take place for a period of one week from Monday 23rd November to Friday 27th November between 09.00 and 16.00 under temporary traffic signals. However, residents are warned that there may be short periods of time during the day when the road will need to be fully closed in order that the contractors can carry out their works safely and protect both the crews working on-site and members of the public.
Dave Wallis, Operations Manager at Island Roads said:
“We will be doing all we can to try and minimise the disruption for local people and businesses during these works and to continue to provide access for residents and for deliveries. Where we do need to close the road for safety reasons, we will also try to keep these periods to a minimum wherever possible, however delays will be experienced so we are asking those that do need to undertake essential travel to please allow extra time when you plan your journey.”
Access will of course be maintained for emergency services and traffic signals will also be in operation overnight.
Owing to the nature of the works on site, the traffic management arrangements will be kept under review, but any changes will be communicated in advance via onsite signage, via the Island Roads website www.islandroads.com, via Twitter @IslandRoads and via the local media.
Dave added:
“We have written to local residents, businesses and local councilors to provide advance notice of these works and apologie for any inconvenience caused, but we hope this will be offset by the longer-term improvements made.”
If you have any questions or concerns please contact Island Roads on 01983 822440 or email [email protected].




















































































Every job island roads does is temporary well it never last anyway
Road was only resurfaced 18 months ago and look at the state of it now – several holes filled in.
All started when woefibre dug their trench and the pavement collapsed, then the road started to collapse.
Well said. Woefibre spend ages digging all places up, causing massive inconvenience. Then we get more congestion, whilst Island roads are left to repair it properly.
Very true but properly and island roads do not go
Far be it for me to ‘defend’ Wightfibre, but this road has been in a state of collapse for MANY months.
”Initial investigations were kept to a minimum”….
I would agree with that, road half-closed and temporary traffic lights for more than a ‘few’ weeks.
Lots of inactivity, people blaming each other about the cause.
There is a large hole under the road that no-one has been willing to tackle.
not sure I would like living in Delphi Court whilst this is allowed to continue. In fact, not sure I would like to live there when (and if) they finally start proper excavation works to fill the hole!
All started when woefibre dug their trench and the pavement collapsed, then the road collapsed. The road was fine for years before woefibre worked their magic there (needed resurfacing though!!)
Digging a bigger hole – “Grave for floaty boaty 6”