Isle of Wight Flood Information & Contact Details

During adverse weather, there is sometimes the need for emergency assistance, below is a number of contact details for the relevant authorities. 

Who to call in the event of a flood

Flooding in Your Property;

  • If your property is flooded and life is at risk, dial 999 and ask for the Fire Service as they have ways to pump the water out and/or rescue you/occupants.
  • Other contact numbers for Hampshire & Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service can be found below:
    • Main number during office hours (09:00-17:00) – 023 8064 4000
    • Out of office hours (17:00-09:00) including weekends – 023 8038 6390

Floodboards for Doorways

If you need to secure your door or an entrance, Island Roads can provide flood boards if required.

Contact Island Roads 24-hour hub on 01983 822440 or email [email protected].


While it is not the council’s responsibility to protect individual homes or businesses and people are responsible for their own properties, in some emergency situations, the council will instruct Island Roads to position stocks of sandbags at the following strategic locations:

  • Well Road, East Cowes
  • Simeon Street Rec, Ryde
  • St Mary’s car park, Cowes

Additional sandbag locations may be identified around the Island based on the forecast impacts of flooding and in areas where the Environment Agency has advised there is a potential risk of flooding.

Information will be issued on Twitter if sandbags are required in other locations.

More information can be found at

Sandbag Store Ryde
Sandbag Store at Simeon Recreation Ground, Ryde | Photo: Isle of Wight Council

At the Coast

If somebody has been washed out into the sea, dial 999 and ask for the Coastguard immediately. Preferably with a what3words location to help pinpoint your location as accurately as possible to save resources’ time locating the casualty.

General Issues Around Flooding

Flooding from a Main River or the Sea

  • If you believe the flooding is from a main river or the sea, contact the Environment Agency on 0345 988 1188
  • The Environment Agency also provides help on flooding issues via its Floodline: 0345 988 1188

Highway Flooding

  • To report flooding on the highway or drainage issues, contact Island Roads on 01983 822440
  • If you can’t get through on the phone you can also report it online via or email [email protected].


  • Notify Southern Water if flooding affects your mains sewage/public drains by calling 0330 303 0368 or

Gas Leaks

  • Notify the SGN to report a gas leak as the result of flooding on 0800 111 999.

Power Cut or Damage to the Network

  • Notify Scottish & Southern Electricity Networks (SSEN) of electrical issues such as power cuts by calling 105.

The Vulnerable

  • For non-emergency calls pertaining to vulnerable older people, call adult services on 01983 823340 (office hours) or 01983 821105 (out of hours)

Medical Help

  • NHS 111 for non-urgent health concerns
  • Or dial 999 in the event of an emergency and ask for Ambulance.

Isle of Wight Weather Forecasts

Food Safety Advice after Flooding

  • For food safety advice after flooding, including how to make baby food without mains water, contact the Food Standards Agency: 020 7276 8829

Trading Standards

  • Trading Standards 01983 823000. Be wary of cold callers offering services following a flood at your property

Think about flooding before it happens

  • The council or the Environment Agency can tell you about the dangers of flooding where you live
  • If available for your neighbourhood, sign up for free flood warning messages from the Environment Agency’s Floodline: 0345 988 1188
  • Make a personal ‘flood plan’ for what you will do in a flood. Advice is available from:
  • Prepare your home in case there is a flood. This includes floodproofing, flood boards and airbrick covers. Advice is available from:
  • Buy flood insurance to protect your home and your belongings.

Public health information

  • In the event of a flood, try to avoid contact with the floodwater. Do not drive through flood water and do not let children play in it.
  • Take care if you must go through flood water as there could be hidden dangers like sharp objects, raised manhole covers and pollution.
  • When cleaning up after a flood, wear rubber gloves, boots and eye protection, and wash your hands afterwards.
  • If your home is flooded, do not use petrol or diesel generators indoors to dry out your home. The exhaust gases contain carbon monoxide, which can kill.

Dealing with damaged belongings following a flood

  • Speak to your insurance company about losses and clean up including the removal of damaged property
  • Bagged flood-damaged property can be taken to the tip
  • Larger furniture items may need specialist removal. If this is not covered by property insurance or you do not have any insurance, contact [email protected] for advice on waste removal

What can your local Councillor do?

It is important to call Southern Water every time you experience a flood so that this information is logged and builds up a history of information so that it can be investigated properly. It is also important to call Island Roads to respond to emergencies also. However, if there is a problem with the way that flooding is being managed, and if flooding is re-occurring in a particular area, it is definitely worth contacting your local councillor at Town and County level and seeing what can be done to resolve it.

Did You Know?

Drains can be blocked by householders unwittingly. Be mindful of what you flush down the toilet or wash down the sink; it all ends up in our wastewater and in our drains as pollution. Blocked drains are often caused by items such as baby wipes, paper towels, hair, sanitary products, and oil. Do your bit to ensure these items are put in the bin, and you will be helping to prevent possible flooding in future.

Join our daily newsletter

News, Traffic & Travel Tweets