Firefighters are tackling a fire within the kitchen of a property in Brading Town this evening (Thursday).

3 appliances from Sandown, Ryde and Shanklin are on scene at The Mews, alongside the Incident Command Unit from Newport.

Crews have entered the property with a hose reel and are now providing first aid to an occupant.

Article continues below this advertisement

It’s understood burnt foodstuffs in the kitchen has sparked this evening’s alert to the rear of the town’s shop.

Southern Vectis buses are diverting via Bembridge as they are unable to pass the pumping appliances. However, the road remains open in both directions for smaller vehicles.

UPDATE @ 20:53 – Station Officer Graham Orchard has confirmed that a small fire was discovered in the kitchen of the property.

1 male casualty is being treated for smoke inhalation and is to be taken to St Mary’s Hospital for further treatment.

Article continues below this advertisement

The fire is now out.

Brading High Street is expected to fully reopen shortly, allowing buses to once again serve Brading.

UPDATE – Police remain in attendance at the property tonight, but fire crews have now stood down from the incident.

Brading High Street has fully re-opened.

Article continues below this advertisement

The views/opinions expressed in these comments are solely those of the author and do not represent those of Island Echo. House rules on commenting must be followed at all times.
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Football Betting Site Betway

Join our daily newsletter

News, Traffic & Travel Tweets