Firefighters from the Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service have been called to a remote area of the Island this evening (Tuesday).
3 fire appliances – 2 from Newport and the other from Freshwater – have been mobilised to a chimney fire at a property in Brighstone.
Crews were called to Chilton Lane in the village at around 18:15.
UPDATE @ 19:50 – The fire is said to have spread from the flue into the wall cavity.
Thanks to working smoke alarms within the property, the homeowners were made aware of the fire very quickly.
The first crew on the scene, which was from Newport, donned their breathing apparatus and were able to prevent the fire from spreading further.
A spokesperson from Freshwater Fire Station added;”
“This was the first fire shout for new recruits FF Thompson and FF Newey who did a grand job on hydrant duties”.
The incident has now been scaled back with fire appliances standing down and returning to station.
UPDATE @ 20:00 – 1 appliance remains on the scene carrying out fire checks.
Photos were taken by Friends of Freshwater Fire Station and published with kind permission of the homeowner.
Do you follow Island Echo on Facebook?
Get access to exclusive news, photos, videos and merchandise by becoming a supporter through Facebook Subscriptions! Find out more at https://www.facebook.com/becomesupporter/309220432954/