280036619 5354232961267603 2333029656100477280 N


Firefighters are in attendance at Oakfield in Ryde this afternoon (Monday) where an electrical fault has resulted in the evacuation of a shop.

Crews from Ryde, Newport and Shanklin were mobilised to Oakfield Stores on High Street at 13:32, but the incident was quickly scaled back.

Staff and customers were evacuated from the busy shop when the smell of burning became evident – understood to be from an overheated electricity unit.

Article continues below this advertisement

Investigations have led firefighters to an area outside with a cordon now established around the pavement.

1 appliance from Ryde remains on scene and it’s thought Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks have been made aware of the situation.

UPDATE @ 17:05 – The fire service has now stood down from the incident.

Don’t miss another story! Get the Island’s latest news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up to our daily newsletter here.

Article continues below this advertisement
The views/opinions expressed in these comments are solely those of the author and do not represent those of Island Echo. House rules on commenting must be followed at all times.

Join our daily newsletter

News, Traffic & Travel Tweets