As previously reported by Island Echo, paramedics from the Isle of Wight Ambulance Service were called to Wellington Road, Binstead on the afternoon of Sunday 7th December after the 1o-year-old boy, who suffered from learning difficulties, stopped breathing.
Despite the best efforts of paramedics, Ashton was pronounced dead at St Mary’s Hospital just an hour later. Police remained outside the family home and forensic officers removed a number of items from the property.
The story, as first reported by Island Echo, reached national headlines as details emerged that the youngster had become entangled in a curtain at the semi-detached property, home to a mum and her two children.
Today’s inquest confirmed that Ashton died as a result of compression to the neck by ligature as a duvet, being used as a curtain, became wrapped around his neck and stopped him from breathing.
The death is not being treated as suspicious, however investigations by Hampshire Constabulary’s Public Protection Unit are on going.